« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Paul Grecian on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:14 am
Paul Grecian
Forum Contributor
I'm still new at this so I'm asking questions and trying to make observations from results. My question is whether the best print (subjective I know) always is the one you think matches your screen or is there something inherently different about a screen view of an image that may make it look better on screen than as a print. Conversely, is the print you like best always the one that you liked best on screen? Ideally, I guess they would always match, but I know that sometimes the print I like best made from slide is not always the exposure I liked best on the light box or projected. It could just be that I need to spend more time calibrating (recalibrating) my monitor.

Paul

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Since you are doing the editing on the screen and presumably you will edit the photo to look best to you on the screen, having a print that matches the screen as close as possible will typically result in one that you like. Of course to do this, you need to have your screen profiled to a standard and your printer profiled to the same standard with a printer profile for each paper you plan to use. This will usually result in the best print. Now if you are using specialty papers like watercolor paper or canvas, your screen won't match the printer since the paper is designed to alter the look and you might like that better. But most of the time, its best to try to get the print to match the screen.

Even with all of this, the screen might still look better because it has a luminescence that paper can't have.

by Paul on Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:01 pm
Paul
Forum Contributor
This is an interesting question. I have had comments on some forums that my images looked over/undersharpened or the grain was visible or some other defect. However, the print from that file looks very good and does not exhibit these defects. The message is in the medium, I guess.
NSN 0138

3 posts |