All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 51 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:31 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
My technique in that situation is simple and it works:    

First of all, I am constantly aware of what is behind me, #1.  how close it is,  #2 If it is extraordinarily heavy, thereby greatly increasing its stopping distance.  #3 If it is acting abnormal.  I always have this information when I drive, so I do not have to get this information in a sudden situation; i.e. I ALREADY HAVE IT.  This saves me vital milliseconds in any sudden decision i may have to make.

In the case of an animal in the road in front of me, generally, there are two options:

1.  If there is a vehicle behind me,  I rapidly tap the brake, at a rate faster than the flashers would work, while maintaining my vehicle's forward progress .  This most often works because it is quick and it spikes the rear-car-driver's mental awareness, warning them.  It obviously , also avoids getting rear ended.

2.  If there is no vehicle behind me, I simply pull over as far to the right as possible while turning my flashers on.  But I still never trust passing cars to see me, and avoid hitting me.   In fact, I do not trust them at all!

Rarely, I will completely stop in my lane, for an animal that is immobile on the pavement, and in my lane in front of me.  But this is ALWAYS only in a VERY slow speed zone…….such as inside a town.  In Davie, Florida at night, I once completely stopped IN FRONT of a large pit bull that was lying in my lane.  It was late, and the bars were closing.  Someone had just hit this dog and left it.  I chose to block the lane because this dog was large enough that it would have gotten "hung up" in most vehicle's underside, and because there were intoxicated drivers around.  

This move saved the dog, which was fully conscious with no outward sign of injury.  It was just lying on the pavement and looking up at me.  When I pinched the dog's toes. it pulled its leg from me   I stayed behind it (with it in my headlights) with my flashes on, and called the owners (from data on the dog tag).  They quickly arrived and even after I explained the situation, they questioned whether I was the person who had hit the dog.  
Topic Locked  

by DChan on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:36 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
From here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-motorist-accused-in-two-deaths-said-she-was-helping-ducks-1.2663840

Volikakis testified she saw a woman walking dangerously along the narrow shoulder on the side of the highway. She also saw a car at a standstill in the passing lane.

"I wondered what she was doing there, it was not the place to be," Volikakis said.

She testified that Roy gestured to the accused as if to warn her it was dangerous for her to be there. Seconds later, his bike slammed into the stationary car, sending both of the occupants in the motorcycle flying.

They were later declared dead in hospital.

Charges against Czornobaj, who is now 25, were laid more than a year later. While the maximum sentences are unlikely, criminal negligence causing death carries a maximum term of life imprisonment, while the charge of dangerous driving causing death comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail. Czornobaj has no previous record. [snip]

Earlier on Tuesday, eyewitness Martine Tessier testified she was driving along the same stretch of highway on June 27, 2010. The weather was nice, the sun was setting and the road conditions were excellent.
Tessier said she was driving at about 110 km/h when she saw a woman along the side of the road seemingly trying to shoo along a family of ducks.
"I shouted to my kids (in the car) 'What is she doing there? She's going to get killed,'" Tessier told the jury.
She testified that moments later, she was staring down a car — completely stopped with no hazard lights on — with the door open on the driver's side.
"It was close enough that I knew I didn't have time to brake," Tessier said. Instead, she swerved to get around the car. Then she looked back in her rear-view mirror and saw something else hit the vehicle.
Volikakis is the wife of the motorcylist who was killed in the accident. She testified that her husband gestured to the accused. It seems to me then that the motorcyclist was distracted and was going too fast for him to brake or take any evasive action in time to avoid the parked car like the other driver Martine Tessier did.
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
They've started a petition for the Quebec justice system to go lenient on her sentencing. Not sure if this has any impact whatsoever on what will happen in August.  

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/mme-stephanie-vallee-please-don-t-send-emma-czornobaj-to-jail-s-v-p-n-envoyez-pas-emma-czornobaj-en-prison

Video interview with Emma Czornobaj.  Appealing the verdict.  Sentencing hearing scheduled for week of August 8th, 2014.
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2474204824/

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Another young lady gets ticketed for stopping to help ducklings. This incident happened in the USA. The case is slightly different. She called 911. That likely ticked off the trooper and gave her a ticket for stopping in the median. Despite that, she'll do it again.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/videos ... 1476280001
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
I applaud her. She is my kind of person.

Those troopers are not. The female trooper said that they save the median for an emergency. Well, how much space did she take up to help those little ducklings ? All the rest of it was available for an emergency. A $100 fine? Give me a break. I am glad she is contesting it. If I am the judge, she gets off and I talk to the cops.

Robert King
Topic Locked  

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:57 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/08 ... a+Business

The case is still ongoing. There seems to be a lot of people wanting sympathy for her and to give her a "second chance". The two on the motorcycle don't get that option. There's no way this can end well, no matter what happens.
Topic Locked  

by Coreyhkh on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:36 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
This lady was nuts she stopped her car in the middle of a highway! she should be thrown in jail!
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:I applaud her.  She is my kind of person.  

Robert King

Me too.  We need more people that care.  But she did call 911 which may be a bit naïve on her part.  I don't know if after seeing most of the ducklings run over, if I would have done what she did.  Hope they throw the ticket out.
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:14 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/08 ... a+Business

The case is still ongoing. There seems to be a lot of people wanting sympathy for her and to give her a "second chance". The two on the motorcycle don't get that option. There's no way this can end well, no matter what happens.

The question is, what would be resolved if they threw the book at her?  Or even if the sentence is for a year.  Aside from that one mistake in one unthinking moment done out of the kindness of her heart, she is otherwise an upstanding citizen with a lot to contribute to society, well educated and an "A" student, likely a do-gooder type, a young lady with a bright future ahead of her.  Throwing her in jail solves nothing.  It won't bring anyone back.  I would not want to be in the judges shoes.  The judge has a tough decision to make obviously. 

PS.  She was a bit naïve thinking she could actually round up the baby mallards.  I suppose not everyone gets the opportunity to see ducks up close and interact with them like many of us do, to know this. 
Topic Locked  

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:05 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
OntPhoto wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/08 ... a+Business

The question is, what would be resolved if they threw the book at her?  Or even if the sentence is for a year.  Aside from that one mistake in one unthinking moment done out of the kindness of her heart, she is otherwise an upstanding citizen with a lot to contribute to society, well educated and an "A" student, likely a do-gooder type, a young lady with a bright future ahead of her.  Throwing her in jail solves nothing.  It won't bring anyone back.  I would not want to be in the judges shoes.  The judge has a tough decision to make obviously. 

PS.  She was a bit naïve thinking she could actually round up the baby mallards.  I suppose not everyone gets the opportunity to see ducks up close and interact with them like many of us do, to know this. 
I don't think she should have the "book thrown at her", but two people are dead here, a teenage girl who was completely innocent. It sounds like the driver was likely distracted by the woman walking and didn't see the car stopped. But make no mistake, the driver caused the accident by doing something extremely reckless. People seem to be discounting the two dead because she was trying to save baby ducks? There's an old saying about "good intentions."
Robert, I assume you too are looking at this in a vacuum when you say "she is my kind of person?" It would be one thing if she pulled over on to the shoulder and tried to save the ducks, but stopping on a busy highway?? 
IMO, it's hard to even call this an accident when the act is so reckless. I do agree that the judge has a terribly difficult decision to make here, and it doesn't make sense to put her in jail. But getting off with no punishment makes no sense either,IMO.
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:40 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Emma Czornobaj has been sentenced to 90 days in jail.  That is a lot better than what she could have been sentenced to.  The rest of the sentence is ridiculously harsh though.  Not permitted to drive a car for 10 years!  There are drunk drivers who get off easier than that.  That is who they should crack down on.  This was the young lady who had stopped her car to help a few ducks crossing the road but in doing so, resulted in two deaths of motorcyclists riding in the same lane.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... d-thursday
Topic Locked  

51 posts |