All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by JimPoor on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 pm
JimPoor
Forum Contributor
I hope we can discuss video without actually posting one :D

I'm considering offering video to some of my offerings but have a few questions.

What sort of quality does it take to pull an 8x10 out of a frame of video?

What does it take to get good video in low-light (I'm shooting ISO 6400 and up at f/2 for stills).

What sort of storage capacity is needed for say 12 hours of video?

What sort of price range are we looking at for a camera that can deliver these sort of capabilities?
Best,
Jim

by JimPoor on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 am
JimPoor
Forum Contributor
That's what I was afraid of. A bit out of budget for now.
Best,
Jim

by JimPoor on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:04 am
JimPoor
Forum Contributor
Thanks, That's pretty much what I figured. I'm already shooting the D3S, so I have some video capability, but thought it would be cool to combine video with the ability to capture a decent still.

Lots of pennies to save for Red.
Best,
Jim

by Neil Losin on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 am
Neil Losin
Forum Contributor
Bear in mind that even if you have sufficient resolution to pull a decent 8x10 out of your video (e.g. if you had a Red camera), the optimal shutter speeds for video and stills are very different. If you're shooting 30fps video, for example, most people would recommend around 1/60s shutter speed. Pretty slow for dog sports!

Go into business with a videographer :)
___
Neil Losin
Los Angeles, CA
Blog: http://www.daysedgeproductions.com/blog

by Kin Lau on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 pm
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
The D3S can only shoot 720p which is 1280x720. The Canon DSLR's can shoot @ 1080p which is 1920x1080, almost 2mp which is almost 2x the resolution of 720p. For an 8x10, that's only 135dpi on short side which is not likely to be enough.

Neil is correct about shutter speeds. Good video has some motion blur which looks more natural and that requires slower shutter speeds. A faster shutter speed would give you a sharper image, but the video would not look as good.

You do have the option of firing off a shot while shooting video, but that usually disrupts video for about a second.

by Kin Lau on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:32 pm
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
You can also shoot 720p60 at higher shutter speeds, typically 1/100 or 1/120 (this depends more on the electricity cycle, 50hz in Europe vs 60hz in NA). If you're shooting with the purpose of slow-mo, then you can get away with faster shutter speeds.

If you shoot faster than 1/120, then video starts to look stuttery. The faster you go, the less smooth the action will be.

BTW Cody, what shutter speed did you shoot the mountain bike video in, higher than 1/200?

by ahazeghi on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
More than the issue of resolution, video has high levels of compression so it is not possible to get a high quality print with frame capture.

7 posts |