Motif: dappled Wolf

Posted by Juli Wilcox on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Wolf (captive) Desert Museum, Arizona

I made this digital image in December in dappled light with a 500 mm f/4 lens at f/4 but had trouble with the looks of the image; I had set the ISO too high so the corners of this cropped image are blurred to reduce the grain. I wanted to see what textures would look like so "developed" the photo in B&W (also in various sepia tones) in the digital darkroom. Thanks in advance for any comments about how this appears to you.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

Posted by:
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:53 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
One of my favourite subjects!!

For a B&W animal image to succeed for me, (and that is very rarely) it has to have impact. You have a beautiful subject with such expressive eyes here, but the overall image is lacking in the 'punch' needed to bring it to life IMHO. For me, it certainly benefits from a boost in contrast, saturation and levels and a touch more USM, but for my personal taste (and no doubt some would not agree!) there is still 'something' lacking.

I think a lower angle would have helped focus more on the full eye expression, but for the image as is, it seems to call for a more dramatic variation in the lighting to really give it the attention this fine subject deserves.

Don't misunderstand me, I would be more than happy to have this in my files, but for the reasons given above I would love to see it with a more punchy presentation.

Am I fired now!! :( :wink:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Jenny Ellerbe on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:50 pm
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
Hi Juli, I actually like wildlife b/w shots, especially when they are expressive or graphic and this guy certainly has a mournful expression to me. I tried to lighten your shot some, and increase the contrast. I also lightened his eyes just a bit.

I think this would be even better if he was looking up and off into the distance. It would seem to better go along with the mournful b/w approach. Of course, that could totally NOT be what you are after here.

Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

by Juli Wilcox on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:24 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Carol and Jenny---Thank you for your feedback; that is exactly why I posted! Carol, you can keep your job, but only if you keep calling 'em like you see 'em. :mrgreen:
I had trouble with this image because it was far too underexposed from the start and not a great composition, therefore, requiring a crop. I kept it dark because it is so grainy, even blurring some grain in different versions. When lightening the lighter tones and trying all kinds of sharpening techniques, it never did look good. I felt I lost the spirit of the animal by creating something rather unwolflike. Have spent far too much time in PS (a couple hours) trying to figure out how to compensate for the obvious contrast inadequacies and thinking I might discover something new. NOT yet!

Jenny, you picked up on the mournful look I wanted to convey. The above version is to compare with your repost and to better judge the difference on my MAC and PC monitors. Carol, beyond the technical inadequacies, what do you think of the contrast in the second and third posts?

Again, thank you both for your critical comments as that is what I requested. :)
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:02 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
This is excellent Juli. I really like the blurred edges and the B&W treatment. It looks like a classic photo one might find in an up north cabin on the wall. Perfect dof and detail..Just wonderful..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Yes Juli, the third post (or your second post as presented) has nailed it for me. This has increased the intensity and dramatic mood of the shot while still keeping the mournful feeling in those expressive eyes.

There is now much more depth to the image, sufficient for me to get right in there and feel the mood. The subject has been brought to life beautifully!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I like this one a lot and prefer the middle one of the three from a toanl perspective.

by Jill on Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:09 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Juli, Count me in with E.J. on preferring the middle one. :D
Jill Rosenfield

by Rich S on Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:33 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Count me as a third for "door number two." :) The mournful look is what really makes the shot and keeping the contrast down just a bit emphasizes that look. Nicely captured.

Rich

9 posts |