« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by DMcPeek on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:59 am
DMcPeek
Forum Contributor
Hi All:

Hopefully this is in the correct forum.

I have taken up shooting lightning lately. We've had a lot of thunderstorms and the strikes are fantastic. I've been lucky so far that rain hasn't been too much of a deterrent. I've been on the edge of just about all of the storms so I could shoot in more or less dry conditions. Now I'd like to get a little closer to the action. Unfortunately that will mean standing in rain... I saw the Kata Elements rain coats in the store. I have a D300 with a 200mm lens. I may purchase a 500mm down the road for a different purpose, but I will still need a cover. Has anyone used these? If so, how well do you feel they work? What difficulties have you faced? Do you feel they will work with a wired remote?

Thanks,

~ Doug

by Sixtyone North on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:21 pm
Sixtyone North
Forum Contributor
I own the full setup, a camera cover + the included short lens cover as well as the long lens cover. The build quality is very nice and should work very well. I just got mine and it seems to act just like an umbrella - as long as you have it with you, you'll never need it:)
Dave Taylor
Sixtyone North
Photographic Workshops & Tours Specializing in Alaska's Wild Lands & Wild Life

by Chas on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:03 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
I do not know if the newer models have a better plastic, but my 4 year old one had the clear plastic portion turn milky white. You can no longer see thru the plastic....

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:03 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Years ago I ordered a similar rain cover from a different manufacturer. I tried it and found that the plastic in the back, where you look through the viewfinder, made it impossible to view the image in focus. The unit went back to the vendor.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

4 posts |