All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by RServranckx on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:53 am
RServranckx
Lifetime Member
Member #:01197
I enjoy macro photography, and have until now been satisfied with tripod mounted shots in natural light using my Sigma 150mm lens (and 1.4x and/or extension tubes). But I'm finding that the right weather conditions for such shots seem to happen less and less frequently. I typically shoot anywhere from 1:4 to 2:1 - you can see samples on my NatureScapes Insects and Spiders portfolio.

I'm thinking about setting up for macro flash photography (flash as main light) to increase my rate of keeper images in poor light and/or windy conditions. But despite spending many hours this past week researching my options (including reading 12's of old NSN posts on the subject), I'm still undecided.

I currently have a Canon 550EX flash, no synch cord. I'm debating between two types of solutions.

Option 1) I could use my single 550EX on a flash bracket with a synch cord. The bracket could be the Wimberley Combo 2 (macro) or Combo 3 (macro + telephoto), or one of the various Kirk or RSS brackets. I realize I'd likely need some large diffuser on the flash head to reduce harsh shadows. This setup could potentially get a 2nd flash for even better shadow control and cross-polarization options, though this becomes an expensive and bulky solution.

Option 2) I'm considering a Canon MT-24EX twin flash, possibly with some simple diffusers (such as the Gary Fong Puffer diffuser).

Advantages of 1): Relatively inexpensive setup for a single flash. Rig possibly be usable for telephoto and portrait flash, depending on the bracket selected. Powerful flash can be useful. Disadvantages: Requires large flash diffuser for good shadow control, making rig bulkier and this could spook insects. I'm also unsure about dangling forward the heavy 550EX on the bracket so that it's right above the lens.

Advantages of 2): Excellent shadow control and overall flexibility. Likely offers better results. Lighter/smaller. Disadvantages: cost, only usable for macro. I'm also concerned about the lack of power of this flash - I know that it's range is very limited, although I guess I'd mostly be using it between 1:2 and 2:1, so it should be powerful enough.

Cost is an issue - although I can afford any of the above, I can't purchase a more expensive MT-24EX (overy $900 Canadian once taxes, exchange rate and shipping is factored in) until later this summer or next year.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the single flash on bracket vs. MT-24EX, and specific flash bracket recommendations.

Thanks.
Rob Servranckx
[url=http://www.VisionsInNature.com]VisionsInNature.com[/url] - [url=http://www.SojournsInNature.com/blog]Sojourns In Nature Blog[/url]

by milmoejoe on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:31 pm
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
Hi Rob,

This is highly subjective, and I'm sure each person's answer will vary.

I'm confident you will get the most mileage out of a large 'hotshoe-sized softbox', a few photoflex reflectors and the off shoe cord.

This will open the door for creative lighting and still keep it under $100.

Mt-24ex is plenty powerful...often times too powerful. You will most definitely need diffusers if you use it!

P.S. closeup / macro of frogs are my niche. I use 3x 550EX, st-e2 and Mt-24ex with wimberley shapeshifter brackets.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
I find my MT-24EX to be a bit under powered and the heads too small (harsh shadows) for larger subjects when the working distance is more than around 20 cm. At the range you mention it might be fine.
With separate flash units on macro bracket you have all the power you'll want and greater control over positioning of the heads. Often I prefer the look of a single 550/580EX up close (handheld 'cause I don't have a bracket) on off-camera shoe cord. The macro twin flash costs twice as much as a 580EXII, so even after the cost of a bracket, OCSC2 and a new speedlite you might still save a few dollars over the MT-24.

by RServranckx on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 am
RServranckx
Lifetime Member
Joe & Neil,

Thank you for your input! Based on your and other's feedback, I'm currently leaning towards a Wimberley Shape Shifter macro bracket with the 550EX and a good, large-ish diffuser. It looks as though the MT-24EX works best for magnifications at and above lifesize - I think I want something that'll work for longer working distances than that...

I'd possibly revisit the idea of getting the MT-24EX if ever I decide to try out the Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens, with it's maginification of 1x to 5x...

As for a bracket, are there better suggestions than my idea of getting the Wimberley Shape Shifter? Any diffuser recommendations?
Rob Servranckx
[url=http://www.VisionsInNature.com]VisionsInNature.com[/url] - [url=http://www.SojournsInNature.com/blog]Sojourns In Nature Blog[/url]

by ChrisRoss on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:42 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Rob, ATJ (Andrew), who posts here made his own softbox and I pretty much copied it. A link is here:

http://andrewtrevor-jones.com/softbox.html

There are various options available from the likes of Lumiquest, but the basic idea it to make the light source large in relation to the subject. The other thing to consider is you probably don't want to have 100% even illumination, without any shadow or shading at all, things can look a little flat.

I'm currently using an old Metz 45 hammerhead flash with a big softbox in pretty much conventional position, but with the flash lowered to be level with the lens and angled slightly forward and it works quite well. Andrew uses his in the hotshoe, but he uses a 60mm macro so is real close to the subject. So basically you need to adjust the bracket differently depending on how far away your subject is. On my setup I'm shooting damselflies and similar size insects with a 200mm macro. For bigger stuff like dragonflies, the flash is a bit too far away from the subject.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by RServranckx on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:29 am
RServranckx
Lifetime Member
Chris,

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations!

I've actually fallen on ATJ's softbox contruction page a couple of times during my searches. I realize they're rather simple to make (other than finding a really good diffusing material), but I'm leaning towards purchasing one (hey, what's another $35 at this point?? :?). Based on recommendations I've found in this forum, I'm leaning towards the Westcott Micro Apollo (5" x 8"). If that's too large for higher magnifications, I'll likely construct a smaller (say 4" x 6") one myself using ATJ's concepts.
Rob Servranckx

by milmoejoe on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 am
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
I use the Lumiquest softboxes. They use a nice cinch strap that works with the many other lumiquest light modifiers I use (mini box, bounce box, snoots, etc.).

For brackets, I prefer the Wimberley shapeshifters with the larger shoe-mount flashes. RRS makes an interesting setup which has good extension, but I find them cumbersome (http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/05.html)

by ChrisRoss on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:18 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I think it's hard to get them too large, a big size will help with larger objects where you are further away. The only issue is manouvering them around. I use a packing material for my diffuser, it' s like a thin sheet of white foam for want of a better description, it seems to work quite well, a lot of electronic items are packed in a similar material these days.

I looked at buying one out here, was thinking about the lumiquest products, but prices near double what B&H charges, I might order one next time I put in an order at B&H.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by milmoejoe on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
You can go as large as you like with the softbox, but you quickly start to loose efficiency and utility.

Being a nerd, I've tried lots of the diffusers. Photoflex makes some great diffusers that are quite large. Liittschwager / Middleton used them for their closeup species work in the NW Hawaiian Islands. The problem is they have their own cumbersome mounting system, which can be extremely hard to use in the field. Often times, they're so heavy it feels like your flashes are ready to break off the hot shoe!

I'm not sure how big of a subject you're trying to shoot with a macro lens, but I think you'll be fine with the lumiquest or westcott softboxes.

Stupid as they are, the Gary Fong lightspheres work very well for distributing light as well (I have the oldest, hard shell models). When packing them, they take up nearly an entire bag by themselves. Also can be quite cumbersome to use on a shoe mount flash.

Neither the Lightspheres or Lumiquest softboxes maneuver well on the hot shoe, so I leave them in the normal 90* or 180* positions. The Shapeshifter brackets then allow you to pinpoint where you want the light to go.

Whatever works!

by Bob Boner on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I use the Westcott Apollo softbox on my 550 Ex flash. It is somewhat larger than the Lumequest. I have the MT-24Ex, but I think I prefer the 550 with softbox. I use the Wimberley bracket.
Bob Boner

by RServranckx on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:42 pm
RServranckx
Lifetime Member
Hey all - thanks for the great input and feedback... I placed an order a couple of days ago for the Wimberley barcket (macro/tele combo), the flash sync cord, and the Apollo diffuser... Can't wait to try it out - when (or if?) it ever stops raining. :)
Rob Servranckx

by fredygump on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:16 pm
fredygump
Forum Contributor
Good luck with the flash.

I also shoot with the 150mm f/2.8 lens, extension tubes (sometimes the 1.4x tc), mt-24ex, and a set of diffusers I custom made, and from my experience you made the right decision if you want to keep your rig 'small' and relatively inexpensive.

If you bought the mt-24ex, you'd hate it initially. Because of the longer min. focal distance of the lens, both flashes are shooting directly at the subject, almost parallel to the view of the lens.

I fixed the problem by custom building diffusers. They worked very much like a pariscope, allowing me to get the light on either side of the subject, or directly overhead and to the side. I had some pretty good results with this, but I've scrapped that idea.

Now I have the novoflex unimarm flash bracket--the one with two flexible arms. It has potential, but now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to make an attachment that turns the mt-24ex flash heads into soft boxes. I'm not sure I'll keep it, but I am getting decent results with it.

I can't complain about the mt-24ex. As far as metering and recycle time, it's great. It's designed perfectly for the mpe-65 because that lens has such a short min. focusing distance. But it needs to be customized if you want good results with the 150mm or longer lens.

And to give myself credibility, you can check what I have of flickr--just search for fredygump. I have a set of images dedicated to the diffusers I rigged up.

darren

12 posts |