« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 93 posts | 
by jat on Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 pm
jat
Forum Contributor
Greg,
I know that this plate prevents the original Gitzo plate from falling out. Does it also prevent the Gitzo yoke screw from working loose?
Jim

by Greg Downing on Wed May 20, 2009 4:55 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Jim: No, BUT the screw you speak of could come loose and your plate would still be attached. In fact you could lose the screw and there would still be no way the plate would come off of the tripod unless something actually fractured.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Porsche917 on Wed May 20, 2009 4:58 pm
Porsche917
Lifetime Member
Member #:01310
Dear Greg:

Do you have any more precise or definite information about the date when the new bottom plates manufactured by British Precision will be available for Gitzo Systematic tripods? Further, what can you tell me about a new bottom plate manufactured by British Precision that would be compatible with a Gitzo leveling plate mounted on a Gitzo Systematic tripod? Are there any photographs of the latter item?

by Greg Downing on Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
We do not yet have a definite date but we hope to have a delivery date and a pre-order page by the end of the month - but it may take longer depending on what changes and adjustments we need to make. As for the Gitzo Leveling base the plates we are designing will not work with them. We hope to work out a design that will, though it will be some time.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by jat on Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 am
jat
Forum Contributor
Greg,

I have a GT3530LS, which has a little hook under the plate for hanging on weight. Will I still be able to attach that hook with the new supplementary plate in place or does the new plate have its own hook?

Jim

by Greg Downing on Thu May 21, 2009 11:35 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
This is something else we are looking into accommodating. We will keep folks posted as to the answers to all these questions when we have more info. :)
Greg Downing

by Walter on Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 pm
Walter
Forum Contributor
Gitzo really should step up to the plate, no pun intended. It seems to be a defect, they should have had a warning, they should have a recall, fix the plate and exchange it. It's the right thing to do, they charge enough for their gear!

by Neil Losin on Sat May 23, 2009 4:09 pm
Neil Losin
Forum Contributor
What models of Gitzo tripod possess this "design flaw?" I have a relatively old 1548, and although it has always felt rock-solid to me, I would gladly invest $50 or so to prevent my gear from falling off, if mine is one of the models with the weak plate attachment :) Also, will the "fix" fit older tripods like the 1548?
Thanks to all involved in developing this solution!
___
Neil Losin
Los Angeles, CA
Blog: http://www.daysedgeproductions.com/blog

by Chas on Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 am
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Come on Gitzo guys...we send rockets into space!!!!!!

FYI- a two dollar 4 in long oval bracket used to afix a light fixture to the electric box will work when placed underneath the base plate using a longer tripod screw to secure, or you can bend a slightly longer piece to fit with the OEM screw.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Joe Bleau on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:58 pm
Joe Bleau
Forum Contributor
Hey, I found a free fix in my Gitzo tripod box!
My gear is already heavy enough, don't want to add any extra weight with that gizmo bottom plate for lazy people. :D

by c.w. moynihan on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:50 am
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Joe Bleau wrote:Hey, I found a free fix in my Gitzo tripod box!
My gear is already heavy enough, don't want to add any extra weight with that gizmo bottom plate for lazy people. :D
It appears that even when tightened, the plate can still work it's way out for some people, so I am not sure what the point of your sarcasm is ?
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by DigitalBill on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 pm
DigitalBill
Forum Contributor
The point is obviously to ridicule those of us who've had catastrophic failures of this dismal design.

We're just careless; the design is perfect.

Well, mine failed one day out of the box at the store.

Why is it that most all the deniers of this problem either work for Gitzo, or sell the tripods?

And yes, the bolt does indeed continue to gradually work itself loose, as I've continued to experience while awaiting a Gitzo remedy.

Since Joe 'Blow' created this moniker the day before he posted, it's obviously a spoof by one of the usual suspects.

It would be more useful if he spent his time working toward a solution.

by Joe Bleau on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm
Joe Bleau
Forum Contributor
No it's not a spoof, I just maintain my tripod & have no problems.
Here is a simple, cheap & low tech solution suggestion to add a safety backup to the spider's bolt securing the plate: you thread a stainless steel wire around some parts of the spider (2 or 3 anchor points) and twist the wire under the hook assembly. Use some non-permanent Loctite Blue on the threads of the hook, wait 24 hours for the Loctite to cure.

If you never plan on removing the plate: clean the machined surfaces of the plate & inside the spider with alcohol, apply Loctite Blue on the side of the disc but NOT on the bolt to still be able to adjust the tension on the disk as the spider may stretch overtime.

by George DeCamp on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
For someone who's never had a problem and had no reason to think of a solution you came up with not only something plausible but with photos of the finished product. You have only had 3 posts, all on Gitzo problems and with a name like "Joe Bleau" obviously Joe Blow you really don't want anyone to know who you are. Do you work for Gitzo? 8)

Only problem with this solution is you probably can't tighten the plate enough with the wire in there.

by Joe Bleau on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 pm
Joe Bleau
Forum Contributor
"you probably can't tighten the plate enough with the wire in there" - why not? The wire runs under the plate. I have been using a steel wire to suspend weight under the tripod since a year and a half:
Edited to add: in case you meant that because the wire is threaded around the bolt it would prevent tightening it, you can also do it like this (I used blue cord to make it obvious):
For older Systematics, you can add an agle iron or other means around the ballhead bolt to fasten the wire if you don't have a hook.

Last edited by Joe Bleau on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Porsche917 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:45 pm
Porsche917
Lifetime Member
Member #:01310
Dear Greg:

Do we have a delivery date yet for these base plates yet? In your reply to my last e-mail message to you, you indicated that you would have a delivery date by the end of May.

Best regards,

Roman :D

by Greg Downing on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
I am waiting for final samples from the manufacturer. Right now it is out of my control other than I am told I will have samples soon. This is why I used the word "hope" in my statement regarding the end of May as generally in manufacturing things take longer than we all hope!

And like anything else there are always "home grown" solutions. We are trying our best to come up with a professional and fool proof one. Some folks demand such service. ;)
Greg Downing

by George DeCamp on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:23 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Joe Bleau wrote: Edited to add: in case you meant that because the wire is threaded around the bolt it would prevent tightening it, you can also do it like this (I used blue cord to make it obvious):
The wire is between the part of the tripod that squeezes together to hold the plate. If it was not tight enough without a wire how will the wire in there affect it? I think the 2nd way works better.

by Greg Downing on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:30 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
I don't think I get the second example Joe. ? What is holding the plate from coming loose?
Greg Downing

by George DeCamp on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Greg Downing wrote:I don't think I get the second example Joe. ? What is holding the plate from coming loose?
It probably ties around the bolt like the first one but he was just showing an alternate way to route the wire??

93 posts |