« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 93 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:14 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
First off, I want to make it clear that I am not intending to start another flurry of comments about this plate issue. I just wanted to tell people that I saw Joe Fuhrman's fix that was discussed here in the earlier thread, and it is fantastic. I really hope that Gitzo look into this fix and seriously consider applying it to their tripods. The fix is so good and so secure (i.e. makes it imposible for the plate to fall off) that I am now back on the bandwagon to purchase a Gitzo tripod this year and pay to get this part made for me to apply to the new tripod. Joe, it would be really good if you took some photos of the fix and posted them here.

Dave, I really encourage you to at least contact these guys who came up with this fix and see if it is something that Gitzo might consider applying to their tripods.

All the best

by milmoejoe on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:45 pm
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
Good to hear! Thanks, Tim!

by Woodswalker on Fri May 01, 2009 3:02 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Sorry, I missed it and haven't been able to find it. Would you mind showing the link for this? Thanks.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri May 01, 2009 3:20 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Here's one: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... 1&t=140837

and another here: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... 1&t=131075

I believe that latter is the one where this fix was talked about and that Joe Fuhrman had it applied to his Gitzo. As I say, I saw Joe's tripod when I nwas down in CA the past couple of weeks, and it looks and works GREAT! If you cannot locate the paticular thread that mentions this, here is what was said:

RafalA (posted 3-19-9) is absolutely correct: the plate is not securely fastened to the tripod. There is a simple solution to this fundamental design flaw.

After my Nikon: 600mm lens, TC, D3, SB800, and Wimberley head went crashing to the ground, I was devastated and never want this to happen again!(as noted in my 3-17-09 post). I immediately consulted with my neighbor, an aerospace design engineer. He is the owner of his company, and his products are used by NASA.

After looking at my Gitzo 1548, he said the top of the tripod "collar"/10mm hex nut, and plate design, are woefully inadequate to hold heavy, expensive camera equipment. Simply stated, it's too much weight cantilevered over ones shoulder and will eventually fail. He designed an incredibly brilliant system from his C & C machine (computer controlled cutting machine) that would make it virtually impossible for the mounting plate ever to separate from the tripod. I showed this design to my friend, Joe Fuhrman, who was very excited. We asked my engineer friend to design a special plate for Joe's Gitzo 3530, which he did. Joe has given a prototype to his cousin Brian Small for field testing. Tim Zurowski, when you visit Joe in 3 weeks, you will be able to see the new system as well.

I think the merits of a 100% secure locking mechanism has been adequately discussed in this thread. According to my engineer friend, locking screws, depending on their size, is a better resolution, but still not adequate. After we've field tested the new system, we will then make it available to everyone.

Scott Clark
L.A., CA U.S.A.scott clark

by George DeCamp on Sat May 02, 2009 1:13 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
I sure would be interested in finding out when this product is available. My 600vr is treated like a baby and naturally I do worry about the tripod as it stands now (I do check it daily and multiple times at that!) so let us know!! Like Joe I use the 600 in the 3530 as well.

by Joe Elliott on Sat May 02, 2009 6:08 pm
Joe Elliott
Forum Contributor
It's a real, saddening shame to pay $500 to $700 for a new Gitzo tripod, just to have to remove their plate and replace it with an aftermarket corrective plate, just so your camera and lens won't hit the ground when you put the rig on your shoulder to carry around. This replacement plate will probably be expensive too. Gitzo should be held responsible to correct this engineering design mistake. Surely Gitzo knows that when people purchase this line of tripods, that they are going to mount big, long, and heavy lenses plus pro bodies on them. Surely Gitzo knows that the only place you can carry all this heavy weight, is to throw it up on your shoulder. Seems to me that Gitzo is definitely not on the same page as the people who use and purchase their tripods.....................just my 2 cent worth.
Joe Elliott - http://www.redbubble.com/people/happilyretired

by Tim Zurowski on Sat May 02, 2009 7:38 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Greg, I would email either Scott Clark or Joe Fuhrman and find out if/when this plate will be available. All I know is that Joe told me it would cost about $100 to have one made.

And Joe, I couldn't agree with you more on that. For me, just the amount of time to save up to get a Gitzo is one thing, but now I have to pay an additional $100 to use it safely. However, that $100 is worth every penny for the security it gives me.

by jfenton on Sun May 03, 2009 8:37 pm
jfenton
Forum Contributor
I'd like to see this new fix as my 5540 had this issue shortly after I purchased it in 08 and again this past week (I check the nut tightness about 2X monthly with the supplied wrench.). Fortunately I use a strap around my houlder these days.

Does make for some nasty bruises on the back of the leg though...the d300, 500 VR, Wimberly II and the Gitzo plate have a lot of weight and momentum when they impact flesh!
Jim Fenton
Nikon D-Something or Other Shooter
(Currently D810)
Haverhill, MA

http://www.pbase.com/soonipi1957

by thorin on Sun May 03, 2009 9:01 pm
thorin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00849
Photography forum; fix been around for a couple weeks and still no pictures?
David

by Woodswalker on Sun May 03, 2009 9:58 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Since this has happened to me and came within 1/16 of an inch of happening to a friend this AM, I would gladly become a $100 customer to this insurance policy. It's a hassle but at present, I tether my lens strap to the joint of a tripod leg on every use.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun May 03, 2009 10:05 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I have sent emails to both Joe Fuhrman and Gitzo Dave, but no response yet from either. I would suggest that anyone interested in this custom part, to contact Scott Clark directly by PM. Joe told me that the guy who made them would make one for me for $100, but I am not sure where Joe is right now? I know very little about it other than I saw the part on Joe's Gitzo a few weeks back, and it definitely fixes this issue, and fixes it very well!!

by OntPhoto on Sun May 03, 2009 10:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
edited

Last edited by OntPhoto on Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Greg Downing on Mon May 04, 2009 8:03 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
FWIW I will repeat what I have always said. I have never had a problem with my plate coming loose and this is after well over a decade of use with the same design. It just doesn't come loose or seem to be a problem for me and I carry a big lens over my shoulder all the time. So this "fix" is more of a peace of mind thing more than it is really necessary IMO.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by c.w. moynihan on Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 am
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Here's an easy fix and won't alter the structural integrity of the plate ring (drilling holes and bolting plate). Just use epoxy on the plate then thighten the ring. It will never come loose again. This method should only be employed if you never expect to remove the plate...which is probably the case for the majority here mentioning the loose plate issue, including myself.
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by Tim Zurowski on Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I know everyone has varying opinions on this issue, but let's try to simply keep this thread more about the fix for those that want/need it, and not about whether you believe this is a serious issue or not. My intent here was only to let people know that there IS a good fix out there. Now if only we could hear from some of those that know how/where to get this fix. FWIW, this underneath plate fix (as far as I could see) does not alter or devalue the original tripod at all (i.e. no drilling holes etc. :) However, it may limit the ability to have a hook underneath for hanging extra weight.

by photoman4343 on Mon May 04, 2009 1:50 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
For those of us that use the Gitzo 1321 level base, does this replacement part have any meaning for us?

Are we exposed to some of the same potential problems?

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by pm4236 on Mon May 04, 2009 2:56 pm
pm4236
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:I know everyone has varying opinions on this issue, but let's try to simply keep this thread more about the fix for those that want/need it, and not about whether you believe this is a serious issue or not. My intent here was only to let people know that there IS a good fix out there. Now if only we could hear from some of those that know how/where to get this fix. FWIW, this underneath plate fix (as far as I could see) does not alter or devalue the original tripod at all (i.e. no drilling holes etc. :) However, it may limit the ability to have a hook underneath for hanging extra weight.
I'd be interested in the fix but am unclear about whether this is something the "fixer" is willing to produce in large numbers or whether he's just doing it on a one-off basis. BTW, you might also consider shooting an email on this to RRS and Wimberley. Where there's demand, a product will certainly follow ( :mrgreen: ). And perhaps we'll get a read from Gitzo at some point on their plans.
Paul Bremner
SF Bay Area

by Tim Zurowski on Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I am unclear as well Paul. I really wish Scott or Joe would chime in, as they are the only people I know of who know anything about this. I have emailed Joe, but have heard nothing back at all. Maybe I will send a PM to Scott and ask if he can answer any of these questions. All I can say is I saw it, was impressed with it and Joe said the guy could make me one for $100. I have no idea if he plans to, or will, make more of them for others.

by Brian E. Small on Thu May 07, 2009 12:42 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
I know that my cousin Joe is now out of town and will be for another 7-10 days so that's probably why no one has heard from him on this. I believe he and/or Scott Clark do have some intention to make their "fix" available for purchase. I can also tell you that I've been field testing their fix for a couple months now and it's wonderful. I have 100% confidence when I put my camera and 600 on my shoulder that it's not coming off the tripod head because of the Gitzo plate flopping out. FWIW, I have a GT3530LS tripod.

It's a little hard to describe their fix, but they have basically created a second plate that threads into the mounting bolt that then creates a "sandwich" from the underside of the tripod head.

by Greg Downing on Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
FWIW - NSN has a product in the works as well. I should have word on availability soon and will be talking to Gitzo as well regarding incorporating this from the start so it does not have to be an additional purchase. Gitzo asked me some time ago to be involved in product development planning so hopefully I will have some inside influence. ;)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

93 posts |