Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Paul on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:38 pm
Paul
Forum Contributor
I have been looking for a light weight ballhead to put on a SLIK carbon fiber tripod. This combination would be used for hiking about the mountains where the weight of one's daypack is an issue.

I am interested the opinions of people who have used this ballhead. How does it compare to the Kirk B1 or the Arca Swiss B1 both of which are bigger and heavier?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Welcome Paul. The BH-3 is an outstanding small ballhead, probably unsurpassed in its class. It is plenty of tripod head up to a 400 f/5.6 or 300 f/4 and perhaps even a bit beyond so unless you plan on breaking into more exotic glass like the 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8 or larger, this head will be more than good enough. If size is your reason, this is a great choice. If weight is the reason for the purchase, an alternative might be the larger, but just as light Acratech.

by Mark S. Peterson on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:33 pm
Mark S. Peterson
Forum Contributor
Paul,

I've used a BH-3 since it was first introduced. In comparison to the BH-1, its design is virtually identical, just smaller and lighter. The biggest operational difference is that the ball is smaller. But as long as one is not putting big glass like a 500f4 on it - which I wouldn't recommend doing with it, anyway - it's outstanding. I've been very pleased with mine. I use it very comfortably with an F5 and my 300mm f4, 80-200 f2.8, and 200mm f4 Micro lenses.

When the BH-3 was introduced, I phoned Kirk with some questions about it (there was no feedback on the 'net yet), and they were confident to recommend it for use with the F5 and lenses up to and including the Nikon 400mm f3.5. I think they're right-on with this. It'd also be ample for any of the popular 80-400/100-400 zooms.
Mark S. Peterson
NSN 371
[url]http://www.mpetersonphoto.com[/url]
[url]http://www.facebook.com/mpetersonphoto[/url]

by mwagner1 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:42 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
Hey Paul...

If you have not gotten a ballhead, take a look at the ballheads from Markins....http://www.markins.com

They are a Korean company who makes superb ballheads. I bought one last year while on a Nikon shooters trip to Moab Utah. Mr Mah, the owner and engineer, was there.

There is a Nikon site calles Nikonians (http://www.nikonians.org). On this site, you can read a review of the ballhead as well as many other people's opinions.

I had the chance to compare the Markins against a brand new Arca-Swiss as well as a Kirk. I saw nothing on either the Kirk or Arca Swiss that made me regret my purchase.

I put that ballhead through a serious workout, with sand, dirt, and blowing wind. It never once seized up.

So, please at least take a look at these heads.

Good luck!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by OriolesFan on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:09 pm
OriolesFan
Forum Contributor
IIRC the Slik tripod is pretty light. The BH-3 should work pretty well on it provided you don't put too big a lens on it. I started with a BH-3 but when I got a 300/2.8 it couldn't handle the extra weight and I had to upgrade to the BH-1. Whether or not it will work for you depends upon what uses you are planning.

Meg

by Juan A. Pons on Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:44 am
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028
Hello,

I have both the BH-3 and BH-1. I keep the BH-3 on my Bogen 3205 and ocassionaly put it on my monopod. I use the 3205 and BH-3 combination when I need something lightweight and versatile. It definately is a superb product.

I keep my BH-1 on my large tripod, this guy is BIG and heavy. Probably not a very good match to your slik tripod.

I have even put my 500/4 IS on the BH-3 when in a pinch, and eventhough it was not an optimal solution, it worked well.

Best of luck.

-J
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

by Harley on Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:37 pm
Harley
Forum Contributor
I have the BH-3 and really like it. I have had it for 1-1/2 years. I use it backpacking and for every-day shooting with my 35mm and LF (lightweight Wista) outfits. I would also recommend you check out the Acratech. It is at least as light as the Kirk if not lighter and is rated to support more weight. Acratech owners are quite happy with them. I have a buddy who shoots with a fairly heavy Linhof Technikardan 4x5 with heavy lenses and the Acratech supports it with ease.

Best of luck.

Harley

by jim46 on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:56 pm
jim46
Forum Contributor
The BH-3 is the first good ball head I've owned. I've always been a pan tilt head fan for landscape and macro photography. Well, since using the BH-3 for the last few months I've modified my philosophy. I will not go back to the pan tilt head! I like to go as light as possible (lazy) in the countryside and the BH-3 and a Gitzo 1227 CF as light as I could find. I don't have any problem at all recommending the BH-3 as a very high quality lightweight ball head solution.
Jim.

8 posts |