Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by W S Sherman on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:54 am
W S Sherman
Forum Contributor
I hope that the PS7 doctors out their can help me. As a newbe to the digital darkroom I am having problems with the PS7 cropping tool. When I crop a photo it freezes up the computer once I try to complete the corp. Is there fix to this problem short of reloading PS? Remember when you reply I am new to this computer stuff. The comment, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is hitting close to home.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hmm, I have not seen that particular lock-up. Before you reinstall, kill your preferences and reset them up to see if that takes care of the problem. PS seems to be prone to having that file corrupted. Go to the third and fifth post in this thread to see how to do it.

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=486

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Rich S on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Well E.J., you've confused me and I thought I knew a little about PS7! :)

I haven't had a problem but wonder if the crop tool is the only thing that's causing this problem. That is, is crop the first thing you're doing and then it's freezing? Does it freeze when you try image>adjustment>levels or something similar? If you try resizing first, say to something much smaller, do you still get the same problem? If not, then memory might be an issue. Otherwise, my guess is that re-installing is the solution. Good luck.

Rich

by W S Sherman on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:49 pm
W S Sherman
Forum Contributor
Rich S; Thanks for your reply. The problem occurs when ever I use the corp tool. It doesn't matter if I crop first or last.
Steve Sherman

by Brent V on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:55 pm
Brent V
Forum Contributor
Try the parimeter tool,( top left hand ) then select image > crop. instead of selecting the crop tool from the pallette. Are you on a Mac, or PC ? I have never had this problem on my Mac, however I do have some problems with the browser shutting down the program.... :x

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Rich S wrote:Well E.J., you've confused me and I thought I knew a little about PS7!
Sorry for the confusion. While on the surface, my suggestion seems odd but I have seen PS do very weird things on numerous occasions resulting in lock-ups and even a reinstall didn't fix it. But deleting the preferences file, which is not reinstalled or deinstalled when removing PS will solve the problem - in many cases anyway.

As for the tool, I also use the rectangular marquis to do cropping rather than the PS crop tool.

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:14 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
A slight change of topic-- EJ and others write that they use the marquee tool instead of the crop tool for cropping. I used to do this to, before I discoverd the crop tool :oops: but now I use the crop tool excluseively. The reason I use it and not marquee is that I can adjust the corners after I've done the initial selection. Is there a way to do that with the marquee tool?

As for crashing--I've never had the crop tool crash on me. But I use PS Elements 1.0, not the full photoshop. The only crashing I get get on a regular basis is when doing complicated selections using the magic wand (with adding and subtracting selections). This brings down the whole computer--and on Win2KPro that really takes some doing! I've heard that Elements 2.0 fixes this problem, but I haven't upgraded...

-Paul

by Dan Baumbach on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:26 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
Sometimes the crop tool can take a lot of time if your image has a high dpi. Are you sure that it's not just PS taking its time? Windows will often tell you the PS is locked up when it is just taking a long time processing an action.

BTW E.J. How do you use the Marquis tool for cropping?

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Dan Baumbach wrote:BTW E.J. How do you use the Marquis tool for cropping?
Dan, just make the selection using the rectangular marquis then Image > Crop. Note that the Info Palette (upper right in the default PS configuration) will show you the exact dimensions that you have selected.

by W S Sherman on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:13 pm
W S Sherman
Forum Contributor
Here is an update on the cropping problem. I did reinstall PS but still had the problem. I called PS help and after a couple of different trys they had me delete (in documents and settings on the C/drive) all the ptotoshop preferences and reset them. Some how the preferences became corrupted and reinstalling would not solve the problem.
Thanks for all the help

Steve

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
If you see my intitial response to your problem, that is exactly what my advice was :wink: except I forgot to add the link.

by W S Sherman on Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:13 pm
W S Sherman
Forum Contributor
Yes E.J. you were right and I forgot to give you credit in my last post.
Steve

12 posts |