Motif: Male Goldfinches In Breeding Plumage

Posted by LindaY on Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
The rule I broke here is pretty obvious. This one has a very busy background as these little finches were poking around on the ground to find breakfast. These birds are small enough so that I could not get much separation of the ground around them. I had hoped to get some photos of these guys on a better perch today, but the winds are strong and several times, I had a shot all framed up only to have a swift gush of wind come along and blow the birds and their reed perch right out of the frame. :cry: Canon D60, EF 300mm f4.0L, 1.4X tele-extender, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, very agressive crop...I need a longer lens :!:
Linda Yee

Posted by:
LindaY
Forum Contributor

by Juli Wilcox on Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:25 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Linda---beautiful color and highly articulated BG which looks great to me. I like the perspective and the detail. I feel that is very appropriate for this image and that there is no rule that should even be remotely considered if it is your intent to show this BG. I also like the typical behavior. My nit is what may be an oof reed in front of the birds which is casting a dull mask over the middle of the image. In other words, I think there may have been an object closer to the lens which did not register with your eye but did with the image.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Bill Whala on Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
The image held up very well against the crop. I like the unusual look at these two on the ground. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by LindaY on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:50 pm
LindaY
Forum Contributor
Juli Wilcox wrote:Hi Linda---beautiful color and highly articulated BG which looks great to me. I like the perspective and the detail. I feel that is very appropriate for this image and that there is no rule that should even be remotely considered if it is your intent to show this BG. I also like the typical behavior. My nit is what may be an oof reed in front of the birds which is casting a dull mask over the middle of the image. In other words, I think there may have been an object closer to the lens which did not register with your eye but did with the image.

Juli, I did notice that oof reed. :( All of the brushy stuff around here is one of the reasons that we have so many birds...which is a good thing. But it also increases the probability that some will blow into the line of a shot and it was windy when I took this one.
Bill Whala wrote:The image held up very well against the crop. I like the unusual look at these two on the ground. :)
Bill, I have gotten a lot of good pointers for bringing out all of the details that are there in a shot from the forums here at Naturescapes. The help has been very much appreciated. :D
Linda Yee

4 posts |