« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by James McIntyre on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27 am
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068
When I first joined NSN in 2003, I always received an automatic notification when someone replied to one of my posts. But this no longer occurs. Now the only way I can tell if someone has posted a reply or comment is to use VIEW YOUR POSTS.

I've checked and rechecked my personal profile, but can't find anything wrong. I've repeatedly queried NSN about the problem, but no solution has been furnished.

Originally I was running WINDOWS XP and predecessors on my desktop. Now I run both MAC SNOW LEOPARD/SAFARI and WINDOWS 7/IE8 on my MacBook Pro. Ads from the NSN store and newsletters come through without any problem.

If anyone can suggest a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S.
Just noted a similar post by 'billig71'. One thing we have in common is our AT&T/Yahoo ISP. To my knowledge I have never had a problem receiving Email from other sources. I get tons of spam, some in my Email Inbox, some in my Spambox. Like others I get lots of scam messages, which I promptly delete. I report scams from AT&T pretenders to abuse@att.net. Where they get my Email address is a mystery. I once thought it might be from Ebay. But someone suggested the spammers may get addresses from NSN, where my address is listed.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Bump up. No reply and the user still has the problem

by Greg Downing on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:30 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Sorry - no solution has been furnished because we can't repeat the problem on this end. My guess is that it is Yahoo as they have in the past blocked all email from NSN editors. Perhaps try another email address that is not yahoo?
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Greg Downing on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:36 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
P.S. If you get our newsletters that does not necessarily mean that it's not yahoo blocking because they are send using an entirely different system and from a different address. My suggestion is to try and update your profile with another email address and see if that changes anything - it will at least help eliminate that as a possibility if nothing else.

PPS -I learned of ej's post via an automatic notification..
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by James McIntyre on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Greg:

Thanks for your rapid response.

The problem existed before AT&T hooked up with Yahoo last year.

I could try signing up with Hotmail or Gmail, but then this gets too complicated to monitor.

Jim

by nclements on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 pm
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
I received the notification that the post had been updated via my usual e-mail address. Then I tried the same thing pointing to my Yahoo! account -- haven't received the e-mail there yet (for a different account monitoring a thread that I know has been active). I'll keep looking but it's possible that the e-mail is being dropped as Greg suggested.

by Greg Downing on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Nicholas - is there a way to find out for sure if Yahoo is blocking the email notifications?

I don't think it has anything to do with ATT hooking up with Yahoo - it's Yahoo all along that I think is blocking notification emails. At one point Yahoo had all NatureScapes' mail on a black list for whatever reason. I know it's an inconvenience to use a different account but unless someone can get Yahoo to stop blocking emails from NSN for no reason there isn't much else we can do at this end.
Greg Downing

by nclements on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 am
nclements
Development Team
Greg,

We can't be 100% sure. I've still not received any notification e-mails at my Yahoo account, but that's not definitive. (I've also not had the e-mails pushed to spam.)

I just tried to send a series of test e-mails - none of them came through. Then I added the naturescapes.net e-mail address to my list of contacts, reran the tests and the e-mails started to come through. So that might work for Jim.

Just try adding the e-mail address editors @ naturescapes . net (without the spaces) to your list of contacts and see if that makes a difference.

Nicholas

by TDeSanto on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 am
TDeSanto
Forum Contributor
Also, you can check your spam folder for your yahoo account for anything that their system has marked as spam. If anything from NSN is going there, you can open the email and mark it as "not spam". That should help address any false positives by their spam filter (if that's the issue).

by James McIntyre on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 am
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Thanks for your input everyone.

I thought Nicholas might have found a solution to my long-standing problem until I discovered I had already added the Email address 'editors@naturescapes.net' to my ATT/Yahoo Email Contacts list on Sep 28, 2010 - the date I wrote to NSN requesting help again. I do always receive special notification when other Contacts on this list send me Emails.

On that same day, I received a reply in my Inbox from Greg using the 'editors' address, so at least one, but only one, has come through from this source. All other Emails from NSN (e.g., from the Store or the Newsletter) also come through fine directly into my Inbox. But these originate from different addresses, not 'editors'. There is no NSN Email in my Spam box.

Today I wrote again to 'editors' requesting that they send me a test message back. So far I have not received anything.

Perplexing,
Jim

by Greg Downing on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
James - we have not received any email from you at editors.

Also please check with Yahoo as they may be blocking our emails before they even get to your inbox.
Greg Downing

by James McIntyre on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:45 am
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Greg:

The message was sent to editors@naturescapes.net at 2:18 p.m. MDT yesterday, Thurs Aug 24. It was titled AUTO NOTIFICATION and recorded in my Sent mailbox.

I checked all my mailboxes today but no sign of a reply. Including Trash, just in case some filter was automatically blocking it. I know that filter works as I have a block on Emails from an unwanted source.

But here's a clue. I cc'd the message to E.J. at his cox.net address. If he didn't receive it, then it might indicate ATT/YAHOO is blocking contact from the 'editors' address at this end as well. But I also cc'd a copy to myself and received that OK in my Inbox.

Incidentally I receive messages all the time via Yahoo from the IBLE birding listserv and from a family member who subscribes. This may be irrelevant.

I'll copy this text and forward 2 copies to E.J., you (at your mindspring.com address) and myself. I'll also cc 1 copy to 'editors'. That may tell us something.

I'll also try to contact ATT/Yahoo asap to describe the problem.

Thanks for your help,
Jim

Last edited by James McIntyre on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by nclements on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 pm
nclements
Development Team
Here's another possibility: Could you have told Yahoo to deliberately block anything from the editors@ e-mail address?

I had forgotten about this functionality, but Yahoo's basic account gives you up to 500 e-mail addresses that you can block. You do this in the Options->Spam area. (I believe that an older version of the Yahoo webmail client had a button but I don't see it on the newest [beta].)

Although that wouldn't explain why editors@ isn't receiving mail from your account unless Yahoo blocks it both ways.

by James McIntyre on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:44 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Nicholas:

I was still editing my last message when your post came through. Please see the revised version above for additional info and clues.

I did check Options for an 'editors' block but couldn't find anything. I'll check some more. The fact that I received a cc of my message to NSN yesterday suggests the block is not at my end.

I have to run to the airport to meet a flight but will get back to this asap.

Thanks,
Jim

by Greg Downing on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
James sorry for the late reply - but I have not had a mindspring address for at least 5 or 6 years. Try downingg@gmail.com

Still nothing to editors as far as I know...

Greg

P.S. Sending you a test email from editors in 2 minutes. Consider it sent.
Greg Downing

by Greg Downing on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
scratch that - the email in your profile is not a yahoo address....it's att??
Greg Downing

by James McIntyre on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:32 am
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Grag:

I got the mindspring address from your website. It's listed there under Order Prints. So If you haven't been getting any print orders lately ... Strangely my message to your mindspring address didn't bounce. I always get a reply from 'mailerdaemon' if I send to an incorrect address.

Yes, my ISP is AT&T. But they hooked up with Yahoo in mid-2010, so I think everything is now operated by Yahoo. It was a mess at first until I found some regular Email was going to Spam and redirected it to my my Inbox as Not Spam.

Note in my first post that 'billig71', who also uses the ATT/Yahoo ISP, had the same problem with no notification:
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... n#p1660685
If you do a Search on NSN with the keyword 'notification', you will find several other members have had this problem too.

Later this morning I'll send test messages to you and Nicholas (@gmail.com), to E.J. (@cox.com) and to myself (@att.net). The first will include the 'editors@naturescapes.net' as an addressee, the second not. That may tell us something.

I also vaguely recall that when I first had this problem several years ago, someone at NSN (Heather?) suggested that I clear my cache. I can try that as well. I don't think I have that Email anymore due to a hard drive crash in 2008. Nicholas, does that make sense?

Thanks,
Jim

by nclements on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 am
nclements
Development Team
James McIntyre wrote: I also vaguely recall that when I first had this problem several years ago, someone at NSN (Heather?) suggested that I clear my cache. I can try that as well. I don't think I have that Email anymore due to a hard drive crash in 2008. Nicholas, does that make sense?
The way the forums do the notifications it should have no effect. But stranger things have happened.

by nclements on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am
nclements
Development Team
James,

I've been looking through the code and the database, manually reconstructing the queries, and I can say that your account is definitely being picked up whenever this topic is updated. More and more it's looking as if the e-mail user being used (editors@naturescapes.net) is being blocked.

Nicholas

by James McIntyre on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:45 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Thanks Nicholas.

I found your latest post with VIEW YOUR POSTS. Still no auto notification, even though I've cleared all cookies. I'll try clearing my cache next.

I also did a complete search of my att.net Email (all boxes) for NSN messages. No auto notifications since Jan, 2010 when I purchased my MBP. But as noted above, I did receive one message from 'editors' (from GD).

21 posts |