« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by mwagner1 on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:39 am
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Since the flash duration is a lot longer in high speed sync, the effective illumination distance of the flash is less than it is in a synced flash picture. Since the flash has to deplete its capacitor over a much longer time period, the flash is engineered to put out less illumination in high speed sync than in synced flash ...
Hey E. J.

Is this why Greg recommended the Better Beamer when using the Nikon DSLR?? To compensate for the lower "amount" of released flash??

Once again, thanks to you and all the others with the excellent advice!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
mwagner1 wrote:Is this why Greg recommended the Better Beamer when using the Nikon DSLR?? To compensate for the lower "amount" of released flash??
The Better Beamer certainly helps this a lot but he would have made that recommendation even without High Speed Sync ans the flash range is significantly longer with the beamer (note you can only use it with lenses that are at or above 300mm for full frame flash coverage). The Beamer has multiple advantages:
- Longer flash range
- Lower flash power output for an equivalent distance subject as compared to not using the beamer
- Since less power is used, flash recycle times are faster
- Since more light is concentrated on the subject, flash duration is faster reducing subject motion

Disadvantages of the beamer:
- Inside about 15 feet with large apertures it can tend to overexpose subjects as the flash can't shut-off fast enough
- If you leave it pointing into the sun, it concentrates light behind it and can melt part of the flash casing.

DO NOT leave a better beamer sitting out in the open in your car! you might come back to your car and see it in cinders.

by jfred on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:16 am
jfred
Forum Contributor
[/quote]
...the main difference will be from the flash output.

In tests that I have done, the flash range in high speed sync is usually about 2/3 of what it is in synced mode.[/quote]

I understand the 'speed' issue if the sync speed is close to what one is shooting anyway, i. e. 1/500 or less. Perhaps you would be so kind as to discuss the advantages of high speed flash sync as a 'fill-flash' assistance when shutter speeds are very high (1/1000, 1/2000), and apertures are very large (f2.8, f4)? I usually dial down the flash amount anyway so as to get a little fill, and alter the ratio of flash to ambient light.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
jfred wrote:I understand the 'speed' issue if the sync speed is close to what one is shooting anyway, i. e. 1/500 or less. Perhaps you would be so kind as to discuss the advantages of high speed flash sync as a 'fill-flash' assistance when shutter speeds are very high (1/1000, 1/2000), and apertures are very large (f2.8, f4)? I usually dial down the flash amount anyway so as to get a little fill, and alter the ratio of flash to ambient light.
Yes that works well most of the time. You only have an issue if there isn't enough flash power available to reach your subject at whatever flash exposure compensation you choose. But even if you have the flash set at -2, if there isn't enough power available to give it an ambient -2 stop flash exposure, you still don't get the desired effect.

by mwagner1 on Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:22 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
Hey E. J.

I have heard plenty of near horror stories about potential careless use of the Better Beamer....

Somewhere I read that someone almost started a fire because the sun was coming through their BB and onto a patch of dry grass!!!

Not to mention the various reports of melted flashes and burnt spots on both skin AND cameras!!! YIKES!!!!

What a potential disaster in the making from such a neat tool!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by Greg Downing on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:11 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
mwagner1 wrote:Hey E. J.

I have heard plenty of near horror stories about potential careless use of the Better Beamer....

Somewhere I read that someone almost started a fire because the sun was coming through their BB and onto a patch of dry grass!!!

Not to mention the various reports of melted flashes and burnt spots on both skin AND cameras!!! YIKES!!!!

What a potential disaster in the making from such a neat tool!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin
Yes, hence the nickname "better burner". Since it is a simple magnifying device naturally it can burn stuff if pointed at the sun. Just be careful with it. Each of my flashes have melted spots on them and one of my flash cords caught fire once....

BTW the fresnels can actually be found in most libraries for reading.

On a positive note, it can be handy in a survival kit ;)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Chas on Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:07 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
hdomke wrote:Thanks E.J., that helps a lot.
But let me throw a "real world" situation to compare Flash Sync with High Speed Flash. Let's assume I will be shooting shutter priority and have the speed set to 1/500th. The flash will not be the primary light, but will be used as fill-flash.

Bird Photography.
600 mm lens
Flash mounted on a flash bracket and flash extender (Better Beamer) used.

In this situation, would true Flash Sync of 1/500th (like the Nikon D1X) produce different results that High Speed Flash (like the Canon 1Ds)?

Thanks,
Henry

If the subject is relatively close to the camera, perhaps not, but more than likely, yes.

Better is a relative term :wink: . However, at 1/500 or under the flash is capable of using its full capacity. Above 1/500, the flash goes into high-speed sync. Moreover, you might not get the output necessary for the aperture at distance desired. It all comes down to whether or not 1/500 and the flash is sufficient to freeze the subject, or you have the need for higher shutter speed to render the desired result. 1/500 with fill is usually insufficient to freeze a quickly moving subject, but the flash still helps. However, with slow flappers like wading birds, it works quite well. Use 1/500 with the flash as main and you could freeze the subject, as the flash duration is higher than the shutter speed in use. Use a higher than 1/500 shutter speed like 1/1000 plus and you will freeze the subject, but perhaps not light the underside/shadow side of the bird sufficiently unless it is relatively close and you are using a beamer and shooting with a wider aperture. You must first address what you want as a product; afterwards you can use the tools at your disposal to render the result as desired. Photography-is the art of compromise. I am just glad I can preview the flash results on my LCD and make real time adjustments in-field.

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

27 posts |