Mingo in Fire Water- Greater Flamingo

Posted by AlexC on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
Greater Flamingo (phoenicopterus ruber)

This is one of my last digital postings for a while, That is the bad news, The good news is that I am heading for an extended stay at the Galapagos for Audubon, but I am getting ahead of myself here, that I will detail later on the post !!
This "Mingo"was drinking or eating (very similar behavior)in their pond at Metro Zoo, I wanted to isolate the head along the lovely reflective water, easier said than done, these bird never stop moving for one second, got my tripod out and proceeded to patiently wait for the shots I wanted, a few minutes later it happened for just a second, the sharpness on the image is incredible when full blow, minor cloning of OOF objects in the BG was done, plus a little CCW rotation for proper horizontal orientation.
D1x, Raw, Len'=400mm afs-VR + 2X, tripod , Incident metering, 1/500sec SS-f/10, ISO-200, EV=-2/3 on camera, Fill-Flash D-TTL EV=0
(SB-800)
Any comments and or reposts are always welcome!!

PS:
I, have been pestering the Audubon Society to join them in their upcoming Photo Essay on the book regarding the Galapagos, for almost two years, finally they have agreed to take me there (attached to scientists who will be doing field work-AKA-Pro Bona Work)but I can not shoot digital, it all must be medium format, which I have not done in a while, I am sure that after dusting off the Hassey's and sending them out for cleaning and calibration I should be up to speed; It's going to be a long three month trek, since this is supposed to cover all the islands and not just the ones visited by tourits, they will provide the cost of the film, food and lodging, travels expenses will be covered by me!!, The book should be out next year!!, What a lucky treat!!! :wink:
Tony, now you know why I don't have the time for you to visit Miami right now, Should be available by August, We'll go out then!!, Must be ready to depart on the 24 th.!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by Dennis Olivero on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:42 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Beautiful image Alex.. Good luck on your trip and I would like to preorder an autographed copy... Be well...
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by fredcor on Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:14 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Beautiful Flamingo.

:D I wish you lots of great images at Galapagos, have a good and safe trip, just don't forget to tell us about it when your'e back. :D
Frederick Lat Correa

by Noel on Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:15 pm
Noel
Forum Contributor
Simply beautiful. Nice shot.

>I can not shoot digital

Cannot officially or cannot at all? Surely you'll want to bring your (some say superior) digital imaging equipment along!

Have fun, we'll miss you and images like this!

-Noel
[size=75][i]Edits, reposts, and constructive criticism of my work always welcome![/i][/size]

by Bill Whala on Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:33 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Outstanding image, Alex!! The pink reflecting in the water puts it over the top.

Have a great journey to Galapagos. Put me down for an autographed copy too. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by AForns on Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:41 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Stunning image Alex

Wishing you the best for the upcoming trip and looking forward to seen some great images.

Can't you get a Sat-Phone connected to a laptop to post while you are there? :) Will be difficult having you away for so long :cry: Take good care.
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Rich S on Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:07 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Stunning image. Love the reflections.

Sign me up for a copy as well. Must admit to some surprise at the MF requirement since much of the wildlife lends itself to 35mm and digital. Puerto Ayora and San Cristobal both have relatively inexpensive internet connections so don't disappear!

Rich

by Jim Urbach on Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:37 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Alex, The fire water puts this over the top. I'll carry your luggage if they allow me to bring my digital. Have a great trip and return with great images.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Peter Wallack on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:45 pm
Peter Wallack
Forum Contributor
Fine Image.

Have a wonderful trip and make those photographs more than wonderful.
I know the birds in the Galabogos are not skittish so I am not surprised of you using a medium format camera. That size slide should produce some of the world's best bird photographs. This gives me the idea that I should use a medium format when I get there.

Best,

Peter

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:45 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Say what? Let's see...what is the date today? Oh yeah. Maybe that's it.

I'm not a fan of flamingo images, but yours is done especially well.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:18 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Beautiful capture. Especially the color of the water. Bon Voyage and good luck on the trip.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:59 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Alex,

This is a very well composed image. The colors are wonderful.

Have a great trip.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Jill on Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:29 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Sandy Mossberg wrote:Say what? Let's see...what is the date today? Oh yeah. Maybe that's it.

I'm not a fan of flamingo images, but yours is done especially well.
Alex, While I'm compelled to love flamingos, you already know my true feelings on this image. :lol: Color and details are just perfect!!! You must promise to call me from the Galapagos ... twice a day will be fine!! Nothing but safe travels, my friend of friends!! :D :D :D
Sandy, You shall henceforth be known as my savior!! :wink:
Jill Rosenfield

by LHays on Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:48 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Alex
You have beautiful flamingo with such vivid colors and details. Now....when you get done calling Jill, I expect a call as well. Just don't start hugging and kissing the birds like Sandy while you're there.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Steve Metildi on Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:54 am
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Just a great perspective on the flamingo. I'm jealous about the Galapagos even if you do have to shoot medium format film.

Good luck and have a great time!

Steve Metildi

by Japper on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:32 am
Japper
Forum Contributor
Beautiful shot Alex...sharpness is awesome, as is the warm light. A well thought shot and it really works well IMO. Keep up the good work!

by Carol Clarke on Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:47 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Beautiful shot and gorgeous colours Alex!

Wonderful opportunity for you to go on this trip and I wish you a safe and productive time. We will miss you loads in the forums and I'm sure Jill and Sandy will miss your company and sparring wit!! :wink:

Have a great time on this well deserved journey. 8) 8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Rich Demler on Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:56 am
Rich Demler
Forum Contributor
Nice capture Alex, your patience was rewarded with a lovely image.
Good luck and safe travels on your upcoming trip.
regards, Rich.
Rich Demler

New Website http://www.richdemler.com

by Alan Melle on Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:03 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
What a wonderful opportunity for you! Hope you have a great trip and let us know when the book is out. Oh yeah, the picture isn't bad either!
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by AlexC on Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:07 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Well, many of you missed a few clues regarding my post!!
There is the matter of the date, April 1st, then there is no 400mm AFS-VR, not yet but it is coming!!, I will never, ever shoot film again, not for what I do in any case, I can not imagine waiting to view my images, being able to crop, compose , dodge and digitally enhance moments later, it would be the equivalent to crossing the Atlantic in sailing ships, no matter how romantic, it is, it's not for me!!, The ever mischievous Sandy put a doubtful spell on my post, since he knows me so well !! (The down side of being his friend) Also, most of you should know by now that I have a touch of dark humor just like the " Black Adder" , so don't take me too seriously, I suspect that from now on whatever I say on April 1st hence forth will never be taken seriously and that is good!!! :wink:
But there is a bit of truth about Audubon, I did ask to join them in some of their treks to Galapagos, In many ways they are very focused on very narrow investigations and that is not my style, also the logistics are almost impossible to decipher, and the photography needed is documentary and not artistic in most cases, not my cup of tea!!
The real trap was set for my good buddy Tony Medici, and he did not bite, just wanted to test the integrity of his cardio vascular system, so far not even a comment of any of the posts after mine, I am a little worried and would like to make sure he is OK and did not suffer a cardiac arrest !! :cry:
I am just putting an APB for the whereabouts of my trigger finger friend!!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

24 posts |