Five-lined Skinks

Posted by ebkw on Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
copyright 2003. This image may not be used for any reason without my written permission.

Five-lined skinks are the only lizards that breed in Ontario. I had seen young ones in several locations around my property but had never seen any adults. I was sitting down by my dock when I noticed the male come out onto this rock. Soon the female came out too. He moved around her until they were in this position and then both scurried off into their bedroom under my dock. I saw a small young one with its blue tail later in the season. The male turns reddish during breeding season.

EOS 3, 100-400@ 400, 550EZ. For some wierd reason I had a roll of negative film in my pocket and so this isn't even scanned from a slide! cropped from top and left side.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

Posted by:
ebkw
Forum Contributor

by Matt Cox on Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:49 pm
Matt Cox
Forum Contributor
Nice capture of a unique species -- I like the diagonal composition and how you made sure you didn't clip any parts of the animal. A bit smaller aperture may have gotten both heads in sharp focus.
Matt Cox

by ebkw on Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:36 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Matt. There wasn't enough light with the 100 film to get any more DOF. I am planning to try for better ones this year now that I have "gone digital" and am living here full time.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Doug Freimark on Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:57 pm
Doug Freimark
Forum Contributor
This shot skinks :D This is really neat. cant wait to see what you come up with digitally this year.
Doug Freimark
NSN 0267

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:31 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Cool shot of an interesting subject that I dont think we have seen here before. Enjoy seeing the lichen on the rocks as well.. Thanks for posting in wildlife.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Karen S on Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:33 pm
Karen S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00021
Very unusual. I don't think I've ever seen one of these. The rock is really nice.
[b]Karen B. Schindeldecker[/b]
[b]NSN 0021 [/b]
[url=http://www.natureswildlight.com][b]Nature's Wild Light [/b][/url]
[b]Minnesota, USA[/b]

by NDCheryl on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:07 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Nice shot of a species that has not been posted before. I like thw BG information as well. Thanks for posting.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

7 posts |