6 Exposure Shot

Posted by thapamd on Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
This is about as ambitious as I want to get with my digital imaging. This was shot on a tripod (obviously) with 6 (that's right..count 'em...6) exposures. I wanted to catch the filtered light coming through the canopy and give a nice silky appearnce to the waterfall. The highlight may look a little blown if your monitor contrast is set too high, but I can assure you that there isn't one single blown pixel here...verified with Photoshop's histogram. The image itself is nothing to write home about, but I just wanted to show the power of digital. Sure a single exposure doesn't have the dynamic range of film, but when you can easily do 6 (or even more, if you're more ambitious) using a steady tripod, I say, "WOW!" Let me know what y'all think. I don't want to start this whole digital vs. film war, but I can't see myself using film again (unless it's LF).

1Ds & 24-70 f2.8 L lens using f22 and 6 different shutter speeds. Carefully combined in PS.
Click below for a larger version:
http://www.fototime.com/34D9811F1A42F2B/orig.jpg
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Last edited by thapamd on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084

by Ron Niebrugge on Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:53 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
Definitely very effective, I would love to learn how you do it so effectively! You say “Carefully combined in PS”, that sounds so easy, but it isn’t, at least for me.

I would like to ask, do you really need 6 exposures or could you have achieved the same result with 3 or 4? Although the 1Ds does not handle overexposed highlights very well, it does have a decent exposure range, and it seems to me you could capture the darkest darks and the sunny waterfall highlights in fewer exposures. You must understand, I have yet to combine more than two exposures, and still prefer to use a GND whenever possible, so my question is asked in all sincerity. Thank you for sharing.

by Mark on Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:43 am
Mark
Forum Contributor
The quality of light you captured in this is just beautiful. Could you share some more details about the 6 different shutter speeds (ie. why?), and how they were all combined in PS.

I love experimenting with ME on film, but there is a definite amount of uncertainty you are playing with. I would really like to see a digicam allow for ME in camera - but perhaps that takes too much processing.
Mark

by Greg Downing on Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:05 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Beautiful shot and great technique!

BTW I moved the shot from Photo Topics to Landscapes because I think this is where it belongs :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by scooter on Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:18 am
scooter
Forum Contributor
thapamd wrote:I don't want to start this whole digital vs. film war, but I can't see myself using film again (unless it's LF).
really?

I love digital dont get me wrong and perhaps Im biting and debating something that I will inevitably just debate with myself...... but there hasnt been a single Black&white conversion/action/filter etc etc that Ive seen or heard about that will ever adequately reproduce the feel of a true black and white negative and print.

just my two cents.
I like [url=http://scootermagruder.com/temp/hassyday/print3.jpg]powerlines.[/url]

by Rich S on Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:47 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Big image really evokes a sensation of looking down into the swirling waters, very different for me at least than the smaller. Like Ron, I'm wondering about the process. Could you give us a hint about what parts of the six are where? (That I'm asking the question should be considered a complement because I don't have a clue even based on the larger size; the feathering between the sections is absolutely amazing! Any secret there? :) )

Rich

by Anders on Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:13 pm
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
Mahesh,

This is indeed an interesting technique. But I wonder if you really needed six exposures here? What was the shortest and longest exposures used?

Don't get me wrong, this is a way to increase dynamic range of a photo that I believe is unbeatable, and you definitely have both nice highlights and good shadows. But still six exposures is huge...

Anders

by Dan Baumbach on Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:46 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
That's very cool. One day they'll have a full frame digital back for 4x5 that's affordable. I'll definately buy one.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by thapamd on Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:29 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Thanks for all the feedback and constructive criticism, everyone. Why 6 exposures...fine control, that's all. I took shot sets at 3, 4, and 6 exposures. They all look about the same at this reduced web size, but printed out large, you can see a lot of subtle shadow detail in the 6 exposure shot that just isn't visible in the other sets. As I'm sure you already know, noise is intimately related to the number of photons hitting a pixel. In fact, the amount of variation of light hitting a sensor or film or any recording device for that matter follows a poisson distribution (which can be aproximated by a normal distribution for N>10). Noise is produced from the variablility of light that hits each pixel. The amount of variability is proportional to the square root of mean value hitting a pixel. So if there is enough light to give an average of 100 photons per pixel, any one pixel will have a 67% change of having photons between 90 and 110; 95% chance of having photons between 80-120. If you increased the average number of photons to 10000 per pixel, then 1 standard deviation would be between 9900 and 10100; 2 standard deviations would be 9800 and 10200. The percent variation between the 2 conditions is substantial (10/100 vs 100/10000). The less the percent variation, the less the noise. Where am I going with all this?...The increased control one has with 6 exposures, really allows one to control noise and level of detail in the shadows. With 6 exposures, I can make a gradual change from shadow to highlight, much more gradual than with just 2, 3 or 4 exposures.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

by thapamd on Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:50 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
For those interested in combining lots of exposures, try this software:

photomatix

I've been doing everything manually, with the opacity brush and layers, but this program looks very promising. They have a trial version.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

10 posts |