Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Tom Wicker on Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:17 pm
Tom Wicker
Forum Contributor
I realize this is not much of a subject matter but it seems to be a well saught after quest. Many here it seems base part of their critic on the perch used. I even received one of Artie's e-mail reviews not long ago on the subject matter. I would like to know some of your personal preferences for picking a perch for song birds and small sparrows? How do you come about picking a size. I myself have always been partial to small veins but I have yet to notice this perch used not only here but on other Avian sites

Dose anyone have a personal site they wouldn't mind sharing where they have used different perches I could take a look at? :oops:

Thanks
Tom Wicker

by AForns on Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:36 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Hi Tom I got the same from Artie. He said I could have done better using a 2X4 and Nails :) Will be keeping up to learn.

Alfred

by BrianS on Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:29 am
BrianS
Lifetime Member
Member #:00196
AForns wrote:Hi Tom I got the same from Artie. He said I could have done better using a 2X4 and Nails :) Will be keeping up to learn.

Alfred
ROTFLMAO -- sorry but that one is funny.

Good subject. I've posted similar in the past but never had much luck with getting the thread going.
As for picking a perch -- I look at it as near 50% of the image since it really dictates the anchor of the composition and when selected incorrectly will ruin an otherwise beautiful photo.
I can't speak much for in the field but in my yard I tend to go with any branch that really stands out and is of a thickness no greater than say my ring finger (there are exceptions). I like branches that have stuff growing on it because they add a color that can contrast or complement other colors and bring something different to the photo. I also like rotting fallen tree tops with a large base. We had quite a few trees brought down and I kept the tops of those that were used by woodpeckers and have lined them around the yard (Juncos are enjoying them at preset).
The more difficult task after selecting the perch is dressing it up. For this I use leafy vines that can stand to be cut for an hour or so. I use small yogurt cups to put the stems in (out of frame) so that the green stays unwilted. The hotter the day the less time you'll have and more times than not you'll setup a beautiful perch with browns and greens only to have the summer days wilt the leaves before you've received any visitors.
This subject is very deserving of an article and I've started one a few times but always fell short of the information I needed. I look forward to more posts on this.
[b]Brian Spangler[/b]
[url=http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net][b][u]http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net[/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm][b][u]NSN 0196[/u][/b][/url]

by AForns on Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:50 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Brian how would you attach the perch? I will be going out tomorrow afternoon to get the Flycatcher again. Have to set the perch on top of a very thick fence post (about 10 inches or so)

You can take a look at the pick in the Florida section. The bird is very nice but it will be on that post or a very ugly fence. It's under Vemilion Flycatcher.

Could I use any type of food to help thing out?

Alfred

by Rocky Sharwell on Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:36 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I have used duct tape to attach perches before--Duct tape is an essential ingredient to my photo gear.
Rocky Sharwell

5 posts |