All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:37 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Not strictly photographic, but since so many heron photographers reside here, I thought it was a good place to ask...

Sibley calls the GBH nocturnal. This is disputed and in his http://www.sibleyart.com/other_correcti ... mments.htm he clarifies by saying it's more active at night.

Which brings me to my new question: How far into Alberta does the BCNH range extend? Sibley shows sightings in Southern Alberta; implying that it's not within the normal range. Nat.Geo (2nd Ed) has a line representing extent of post breeding dispersal which extends into central Alberta. Do other sources have better info.

I had never seen a BCNH before this year, but now I have made two sightings at Elk Island (east of Edmonton). The first (which I have photographic proof of) was an adult, but the second (just last night) I saw only in flight (no photos), and I'm quite certain it was a juvenile BCNH (there's not much else that looks like that...) Is it likely to see a juvenile outside the normal range but within the extent of post breeding dispersal? What is the true range of this bird? Are these merely isolated sightings?

-Paul

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Paul your question is a bit confusing since you start out talking about Great Blue Herons which are very active during daytime and end up talking about Black-crowned Night Herons which are although BCNH's can also be very active during daytime especially in the mornings well after sunrise and evenings well before sundown.

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:59 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Sorry EJ. The GBH was more a comment (indicating that even Sibley is not infallible :wink: ) I can see how it would be confusing.

My main question was about the range of the BCNH. Are the range maps in Sibley and NatGeo (2ed) wrong, am I interpreting them wrong, or have I made very unusual sightings?

-Paul

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think Herons, like many other birds are ranging farther and farther north as the planet warms up. We have species here in AZ now that are relatively common that were rareties 10 years ago according to my birder friends.

by Paul Fusco on Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:03 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Paul-

Great blue herons can be active at night. I once photographed one with flash while it was hunting in a pond in the middle of the night.

I think some species of birds are becoming more and more acclimated to human development and are expanding into new areas.

Some species, including most of the herons and egrets, were once persecuted to the point where their ranges diminished greatly from their historic range. Some of these species are still recovering their populations since protection was enacted with the passage of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act in 1918.

Range maps for many species are always in a state of flux. The birders or state/provincial wildlife agency in your area would have records of occurrance that would indicate how unusual a species presence is in the area.

- Paul

by Ron Niebrugge on Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:18 pm
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
We have them here year around just North of 60 degree latitude, which is beyond what my NG guide shows. Although I would expect them to be further North on the coast as I don’t think we get nearly as cold as Edmonton.

I have always thought it would be neat to get a shot of one in a snow storm, maybe this winter.

by Paul Skoczylas on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:37 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Thanks all! Ranges changing over time didn't even occur to me, but it makes perfect sense.

-Paul

by Cliff LeSergent on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:59 am
Cliff LeSergent
Forum Contributor
Hi, Paul;

I seem to recall that Elk Island National Park had a number of GBH nesting sites. It might be worth checking with the Park staff.
Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
http://www.imageswest.ca

8 posts |