« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Griffin on Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:14 am
Griffin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00420
Hello,

This weekend, I had been shooting a lot in the woods, which I encounter 2 minor issuess.

I am currently using an EOS 10D, EF300mm f/2.8 L USM, EF2x II TC, Sidekick on Acratech ballhead, Whimberely flash bracket plus off-shoe cord 2 with Metz 54MZ3 (in ETTL mode).

1. There is a limit of elevations which you could elevate your lens up and down with Sidekick (I guess the same goes to Whimberely Head). So, how could I shoot subjects high up? Should I extend the central column of my tripod? Or I handhold it? :shock:

2. I find the flash setup is rather "weak" in output, the issue is very appearent in combination of Better Beamer. I have put the zoom value to 50mm but the output is still low that I barely notice the flash effect. However, it was not the case when I use flash, bracket and off-shoe cord with EF100-400mm L IS USM.

Yesterday, for some unfortunate reasons, I removed flash unit from bracket and plug flash directely onto the camera, then everything seemed lit up :idea: (no pun intended). I guess the latter would be the "true" effect of BB. Is there something wrong with the contact? Or is it the lens + camera + flash combination? Or is it just operational error?

Your kind help is very much appreciated. TIA.

Regards,
Griffin.
Griffin.
[b]NSN0420[/b]
[i]Disclaimer![/i] The subject is not harmed during photography process! ;)
'It is all about Light' - Michael H. Reichmann

by MikeBinOK on Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:11 am
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
My guess would be your off-camera shoe cord 2 isn't working properly. You might see if you can borrow one from another photographer to test this.

I'm not able to check it myself, but if you have the original Acratech UB, you might try removing your sidekick and mounting the lens directly on the ballhead. With the slanted side turned low-side towards you, I'll bet you can point your lens very high. Hopefully there's not something I'm overlooking that would get in the way here.

Enjoy your "big fat lens", it has a lot of supporters in this forum! :)
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You didn't say how far the subject was from the camera, if its inside about 15 feet, you need to tilt the flash down or risk missing the subject with the flash.

by enriqueaguirre on Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:51 am
enriqueaguirre
Forum Contributor
Griffin wrote:Hello,
1. There is a limit of elevations which you could elevate your lens up and down with Sidekick (I guess the same goes to Whimberely Head). So, how could I shoot subjects high up? Should I extend the central column of my tripod? Or I handhold it? :shock:
Regards,
Griffin.
Hi Griffin,
What I do is mount the sidekick at an angle, tilted back towards me for high subjects, that way I can shoot strait up. It does mean that the centre of gravity is not directly above the ball head but I haven't had any troble with it.
Regards
Enrique Aguirre
www.enriqueaguirre.com

by Griffin on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:17 am
Griffin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00420
E.J. Peiker wrote:You didn't say how far the subject was from the camera, if its inside about 15 feet, you need to tilt the flash down or risk missing the subject with the flash.
I am not sure about the distance between me and the subject for I can no longer from subject distance information from RAW file using BB nor C1LE. :( But I am sure most are beyond 15 feet. (~5 meters), even though I always put my switch to (3m to inf).

Griffin.
Griffin.
[b]NSN0420[/b]
[i]Disclaimer![/i] The subject is not harmed during photography process! ;)
'It is all about Light' - Michael H. Reichmann

by Chas on Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:06 am
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Simply raise one tripod leg, ala Jimmy G.
We do this when shooting owls straight up in the trees.

Inside 15ft I would take the beamer off.

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

6 posts |