Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by robert hasty on Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:07 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Recently been adding alot of digital images from my 10d into a folder into ps6. What id like to do is sort out the ones i want to keep from the file size from the camera. What do i need to do to save all of these to a disc incase my computer ever crashes? Is there a disc out there that can hold alot of large file images? What size and such would i need to get, and can they all be saved to just one cd or would i need a couple of them?

Thanks for any insight,
robert..........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You should always have backups of all of your images. There are lots of ways to do that - CD, DVD, External Hard Disks. CD's have the least capacity, DVD's next and Hard disks are available to 250GB. Basically you divide your file size into the capacity of the medium and that will give you approximately how many images you will be able to store.

by Anders on Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:05 am
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
Robert,

After having seen lots of your very nice photos, I certainly hope you are careful with backups. The question is not IF your hard disk will die, it is only a question of WHEN. It usually takes people exactly one severe crash to realize that this is a fact of life, not bad luck...

As EJ said, there are several alternatives. I prefer DVDs. Each disk holds 4.7 GB and costs just below $2 in 50 packs. Make sure to get at least a 4x speed DVD burner, and make at least dual copies and store them separately.

Anders

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:07 am
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys, i will be working on this, this week.

robert..........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

4 posts |