Motif: Nemo - No Place Like Home

Posted by Woody Mayhew on Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Amphiprion ocellaris - I shot this little group on my November trip to the Philippines where Scubastu and I were blowing digital bubbles for two weeks, I with Nikon and he with Canon. Nemo and his little family live in and with their host anemone in a symbiotic relationship. They avoid the anemone's stinging tentacles by constantly rubbing up against the tentacles to get mucous off the tentacles onto their bodies. This fools the anemone into thinking they are part of it, keeping the nematocysts in the tentacles from firing. When the anemone curls up for the night, the anemone fish sleep inside its folds.
Nikon D-100, Nexus D-100 housing, Sigma 28-135 lens, two Sea and Sea YS-120 strobes, manual exposure, 125th at f16.

Posted by:
Woody Mayhew
Forum Contributor

by NDCheryl on Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:34 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Very cool shot. Thanks for the explanation as well.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Kelly on Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:56 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Really nice shot, and I also appreciate the biology lesson on an unusual symbiotic relationship.
Kelly O'Neill

by Tim Grams on Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:01 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Beautiful colors and patterns! The lighting and expsure really separate them from the background, yet the tentacles are clearly visible. Great shot!
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Dennis Olivero on Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:06 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Woody this is awesome. I have so much regard for people that take their cameras underwater.. I live the composition of three here. If you cropped it I wouldnt mind seeing just a titch more space up top to separate the smaller fish from the frame edge, but that is so minor.. This really rocks!

PS Thanks for the interesting biology lesson..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by walkinman on Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:13 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Woody,

Great composition, though I agree a tad more room at the top would help it even more. Wonderful image.

Cheers

Carl
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

by Neil Fitzgerald on Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:24 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Sweet shot. It looks a bit like a composite to me, the fish are so vivid and seem to have a bit of a glow round the edges. Post more please.

by Dick Ginkowski on Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:31 am
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
Nothin' fishy about this shot! :P
It's cool! 8)

by moose henderson on Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:25 pm
moose henderson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00193
this is a winner, really nice

by Woody Mayhew on Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:52 pm
Woody Mayhew
Forum Contributor
Thanks.
The D-100 does a great job underwater in a housing. The images can be striking with a little practice (and a good place like the Philippines with lots of subjects, of course)
No composite, I can assure you.
I have the other ten or so shots I took to get this one. These *#&$% little fishies are never still. They bounce around unmercifully, making multiple shots necessary to assure one or two good ones. I used to waste so much film on them in my earlier, pre-digital life. But they are worth it. I got three good ones from about ten shots. I was just happy to get all three in the frame to be too picky about placement, but I agree the one at top could use more room. My other best image does not crowd the edges too much but I still like this one best.
I shot about 10 Gig worth of images in Lg Fine JPG on this trip and it was f-u-n! I will post more from this trip. Maybe the big brother of Scubastu's juvenile Emperor angel will be next.

by cjw on Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:03 pm
cjw
Forum Contributor
This is such an awesome picture! The fish are so vivid - Disney couldn't top this one

by Laura Stiefel on Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:49 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
This is so gorgeous. I love the way the glowing orange fish stand out like little lanterns. Just beautiful!
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

12 posts |