« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by DonS on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:05 am
DonS
Forum Contributor
I shoot with Canon and like to shoot landscapes, wildflowers, and macro.

For a first Tilt/Shift lens, would you recommend the 24mm or 90mm and why?

I am trying to keep my backpack luggable with just one flexible system, so adding/switching a view camera is not my favorite choice at this time.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by DonS on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Actually neither, I would go for the 45mm with a 35mm camera or the 1Ds and probably go with the 24 if I were shooting with a 10D.

I posed this question to John Shaw about 3 years ago in a conversation with him. He owns a Canon EOS 3 body and all three T/S lenses. He uses the Canon exclusively for the T/S lenses and shoots Nikon for everything else due to his sponsorship affiliation with Nikon. He said if you can get just one, get the 45 as it will meet your needs about 70% of the time.

by stevebein on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:16 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
I just bought an Arsat tilt shift 80mm. I will report on the results. For under $400, it is a bargain if it performs. They also have others. The only reason I tried the Arsat (made in Kiev) is that the 30mm fisheye, for med format is amazingly sharp and contrasty. I have no reports yet for the 80mm tilt shift except that it can be had for Nikon, Canon and others. I believe it is also available in 24 and 45, or close to those sizes. I was a John Gerlach fall color seminar and he has sold his 24 and 45 and only uses the 90mm. Different choices, still top pro shooters with Different visions.
Regards,
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by DonS on Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:04 pm
DonS
Forum Contributor
I have recently attended a presentation by Tony Sweet. He raved about the Nikon 85mm (of course he only shoots Nikon so that is his only choice). His 85mm would have a similar perspective as the Canon 90mm.

George Lepp prefers the 90mm if he had only one T/S. And he adds an ext. tube for macro work. He does use the 24mm alot, though.

Craig Tanner prefers the 24mm. He also shoots alot of architecture and not much macro. He likes the sharpness of the 24 (it is an "L" lens).

Since I have never used a T/S lens and cannot seem to find one available locally (Northern Virginia) to rent, I wanted to hear your opinions.

BTW, I am shooting film. I am tri-lingual. I shoot film on a Canon, scan on a Nikon, and print on an Epson. ;o)

Keep the thoughts and opinions coming.....

by Dan Barthel on Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:50 pm
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
Went through exactly the same decision process about 4 months ago. Picked the 45 (I have D60 & 10D) Now I can make great pano's without the wide angle look. I don't regret my choice at all.
NSN 061
Dan

by Jess Lee on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:26 pm
Jess Lee
Forum Contributor
Between the 2 I would pick the 90. The 24 is a great lens but, the main reason for the t/s lens is to increase DOF. Since DOF is a greater problem with a longer focal length .....
It really depends on your vision. I rarely have DOF problems with lens 24mm and under and since I like the compression of telephoto landscapes as much as the wide near/far landscapes I would go for the long one first.t
Jess
Photos have a story to tell.
Photo Workshops

Western Images

by Ken Cravillion on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:25 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
I had the 24 and loved it. It was lots of fun! It was my most used lens. Then I got 4x5... with a 65mm... :roll:
Ken Cravillion

7 posts |