Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by Dick Ginkowski on Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:07 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
Rich S wrote:Have missed NSN for the past couple of weeks but this topic really made me pause! "Are you prepared for the inevitable?" I certainly hope so, but I'm never sure whether I've prayed enough!

Rich
Rich, now that we have that covered -- what about your taxes??? 8)

by Rich S on Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Dick, I keep telling my wife that paying taxes is good because it means that you've something to pay taxes on! :)

Rich

by Dick Ginkowski on Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:24 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
Rich S wrote:Dick, I keep telling my wife that paying taxes is good because it means that you've something to pay taxes on! :)

Rich
OK, Rich, now that we have death and taxes covered, what about photo gear??? :P

by Rich S on Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:41 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
OK, 2 cameras, multiple batteries, etc. Catch is, there's always something that can reach out and bite you. Case in point: last trip to Tanzania, I had two Digital Wallets, one that should have been sufficient, plus a backup. With over a week left in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, the first croaked. OK, no big deal I thought; I've got backup (fully checked and fully functional before I left). Unfortunately, it was quite dead and dysfunctional as well. Definitely an extremely frustrating experience - and to say that I was irritated would be the mother of all understatements. However, it was a lesson learned, albeit not what you might expect from your thread's title. The average income in TZ is less than the cost of a Digital Wallet. So I could spend the next ten days enjoying the experience and planning a return trip or bemoaning the gods of fate, all the while "rubbing shoulders" with people who struggle to put the next meal on the table let alone mourn the loss of photo ops. Bottom line? I take reasonable precautions, but if the gods of fate have a twisted sense of humor for my camera stuff, I'm not going to sweat it either. (And when I head back to Tanzania this summer, I'll be taking a Superdigibin plus my laptop. I'm going to make it a little more difficult on the gods this time! :) )

Rich

24 posts |