Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Robert Garvin on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:35 pm
Robert Garvin
Forum Contributor
Hi all...leaving for Rocky Mountain National Park in about 9 hours. I've never been able to photograph any Big Horn Sheep. I'll have my Nikon 6ooMM with me. Can anyone suggest best spot to get a chance...Thanks Robert

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I hope someone will chime in but if you are unsuccesful, let me suggest Jasper National Park in Alberta. They are everywhere and easy to photograph with much smaller glass than a 600.

by mgreg on Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:30 am
mgreg
Forum Contributor
Set up around the parking area of the area called Sheep's Lake ( I believe that is the correct name). If there is water in the pond or even mud, the big horns often come down from the higher elevations early am and late pm. There is also a place at Georgetown, Colorado near the reservoir that Big Horns congregate but that is near Idaho Springs which is quite a bit south of RMNP but being near Idaho Springs means being near to Mt. Evans which means Rocky Mountain Goats and some big horns there. Early morning, late afternoon there too.

Mel

by John Pennoyer on Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:46 pm
John Pennoyer
Forum Contributor
Bighorns in RMNP at this time of year is no easy task!! There are a couple of trails you can hike to find them, Both hikes I have been on are strenous and when I got there could only find, Small rams and Ewes and Lambs. The Mature Rams will be by themselves and isolated from the others. The altenative already metions is Mt. Evans for Goats!
John P
John P
http://www.impressionsofnature.net

by Aurora on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:51 pm
Aurora
Forum Contributor
Sheeps lake is a good place to start. But you can not hike in that area it is protected. If you don't find sheep from the parking lot you'll need to go elsewhere to hike. Good Luck, I saw a nice ram at sheeps lake in May.

Greg Yahr
yahrg@execpc.com
http://www.geocities.comyahrgindex.html

by Rob Palmer on Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:41 am
Rob Palmer
Forum Contributor
If you get a chance, you stand a better chance for Bighorns up the Poudre Canyon. This is highway 14 west out of Fort Collins. Not to far from RMNP. I usually find them on the north side of the road about 100 to 200 yards up on the hillside.
Rob Palmer
[url]http://www.falconphotos.com/gallery/7385039_qUuth#!i=774854059&k=Uuoef[/url]

by Robert Garvin on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:35 pm
Robert Garvin
Forum Contributor
Thanks to all that replied. I did get one immature ram at Sheep's Lake. I got a great 5x5 elk on the west side along with seven different moose in the same general area. It was a great trip...thanks Robert

7 posts |