Flat Creek Falls, NC

Posted by Dan Heimsoth on Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
This was taken under about the worst possible lighting conditions for waterfalls, but it's not an easy falls to get to so I tried to get something out of the trip. I took about 10 different exposures of this scene and used I think 5 of them to come up with this image. I've been editing on it so long that I can't tell if it's working or not. I need some input from someone who hasn't seen the original images to know if they are coming together ok or not. I know I should really reshoot in better light, and I hope to someday, but that won't happen any time soon.
Dan Heimsoth

Posted by:
Dan Heimsoth
Forum Contributor

by blovius on Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:02 pm
blovius
Forum Contributor
right off the bat, i have to state that i think that water-as-cotton is an overdone photographic cliche. that said, however, there is something in this image that starts to transcend the cliche.

in part, i think the light that you said was "the worst possible" is actually working well in this image. the light-to-dark-to-light-to-dark and back again effect cascades down the mountain in complimentary sympathy with the water itself, helping to create a palatable sense of depth and motion, top to bottom.

the individual strings of water-as-cotton reinforce the motion as well. i think that it is this "stringiness" that saves it from the amorphous blob of water-as-cotton cliche.

so, yeh. i think your work has not been in vain.
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by TSparger on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:21 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
Cliche or not, I like the look of the water. The only nitpick I have of this shot is that the water at the top of the waterfall is a little hot. Otherwise, I think it looks great.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by Kelly on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:20 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Dan, I like this a lot! I agree that the top is a bit hot, but not too bad for the harsh light you liked. The shafts of light at the top make this one much different from other waterfall shots. The rich, saturated colors are very nice too.
Kelly O'Neill

by Ken Cravillion on Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:53 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Nice waterfall shot in the sunlight. Great shadow detail and I like the sunlit trees as well.
Ken Cravillion

by Dan Heimsoth on Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:14 am
Dan Heimsoth
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the all feedback. Since this image is so different from any of the individual exposures that went into it I was having a hard time judging if I was getting a result that still looked natural. I'll try fine tuning it a little more. I guess "worst possible lighting" might not accurate since it was a beautiful scene to see in person. Maybe "very difficult to photograph lighting" would be more accurate.
Dan Heimsoth

6 posts |