swamp flowers

Posted by Jenny Ellerbe on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Siince Eric "outed" me in my last post stating that I DO use a wide angle lens sometimes, I figured I would own up to it again. This was shot last week at Black Bayou Lake NWR, a few minutes from home.

Canon 10D, 28-105 @28mm.
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

Posted by:
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor

by matt kuchta on Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:50 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
Really like the stark line of green and the smooth water. I'd be tempted to trim away just the lower 3rd of the photo if it were mine, but I like the minimal compositional elements here. Well done.
-matt
NSN 0017

by Mary Dennis on Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:56 pm
Mary Dennis
Forum Contributor
The swath of swamp flowers cuts a nice path through the frame in this Jenny. I like that cypress (?) trunk in the middle BG and it's reflection. And the other two trees also...it makes for a nice grouping.
Mary
NSN 0123

by Kelly on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:44 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Jenny, the flowers really add a splash of color, and the diagonal swath is very nice. The cypress and its reflection really top it off well. It's hard for me to imagine flowers still blooming.
Kelly O'Neill

by blovius on Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:05 pm
blovius
Forum Contributor
jenny

sorry to sound repetitive. this is comment is copied from my follow up post on "evening clouds".

this image, together with some other recent posts, demonstrates a pronounced sense of a personal vision in the making. your images are starting to carry a sense of "pure" vision, a way of seeing that is gloriously free of the affected sense of technique that prevails in so much of contempory nature photography.

this image in particular, is perfectly composed in as much as it doesn't seemed to be composed at all. it is wonderfully accessible. as a viewer, i feel free to ramble and discover on my own. there is no feeling of being "told" what to look at. your photographic honesty lets nature prevail.

as a photographer, i feel that i am looking at the scene through the eyes of another person who is in the act of discovery. someone who is responding on a deeply personal level to what has "caught their eye".

it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that you are deeply in love with, and genuinely enthralled by your home and its environs. you are starting to create a narative that sings a very sweet, swampy song.
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by matt kuchta on Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:26 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
I'll clarify - I meant just a small portion off the bottom: I reread my comment and I fee silly talking about removing the lower 3rd... don't know what I was smoking there - but Mark is right - your work is developing it's own vision quickly. :)
-matt
NSN 0017

by Tim Grams on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:24 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
This one does not have the mood that many of your other photos have. The technicals are fine, it just doesn't say "Jenny Ellerbe" as eloquently as your other excellent works.

I hope that digital camera isn't leading you down the evil road of quantity instead of the quality road. :wink:
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by robert hasty on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:44 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Great eye Jenny, love the composition!

robert.......
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:08 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
I love this image. There are a lot of different elements and the all work together nicely.
Ken Cravillion

by Jenny Ellerbe on Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:37 am
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Matt, please feel free to offer suggestions, even if you retract them later. :) It gives me the opportunity to look at alternatives.

Tim, I HOPE I am not forgoing quality for quantity but we have only had overcast light since getting the 10D. Not much to work with there for mood. :)

And Mark, thanks for your extensive comments on my recent posts. I do love the area where I live and hope that it comes through in my images. But I don't know if it's my photographs that are unique or the fact that the area is just different from most everyone else's.

I think nearly everyone on this website has a unique vision and sings their own song. To continue the metaphor, I don't think the fact that a lot of them like the same music (so to speak) minimizes the work they create.

Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions and support.
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

10 posts |