Motif: Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Posted by Alan Melle on Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Well, since I live in the desert I guess I should post a desert image for this weeks motif! Organ Pipe is located in southern AZ. and is a very beautiful place. The image may appear tilted but it isn't. This area is a "bajada" or alluvial fan that naturally slopes from the mountains to the valley below.

35mm format, 28mm f/2.8 @f/22, tripod, LPZ

All comments greatly appreciated. Thanks
Alan Melle
NSN0041

Posted by:
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041

by Maxis Gamez on Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:43 pm
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
Do I see a strong haze in this image? or it's me?? Late afternoon light I think will be better for this image. Just my opinion. :wink:
Maxis Gamez

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:07 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
The tilt still bothers me even though it may be natural. This would be a better area to shoot in later day light like Maxis said.
Ken Cravillion

by robert hasty on Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:25 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
I love evrything about this Allen except the tilt or the illusion there of :wink:

robert.........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Kerry on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I actually kind of like the light here--seems like a diffused sunlight. I don't find it too harsh.

As far as the tilt...yeah, it does appear to be an optical illusion.

--Kerry

by Laura Stiefel on Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:17 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Very interesting shot! I really like the shapes of the cacti.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by blovius on Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:20 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
a simple, straightforeward, and unaffected image. very nice.

looks to me like this image was created with the light low on the horizon, which creates interesting shapes and textures throughout the scene. i appreciate the fact that the scene has the more subtle colors of the desert that i am familiar with.

i also think that the haze (if that's what it is) imparts a sense of place and helps step the mountains back from the fore and middle ground. it provides a welcome spatialness to the image.

what really sets this image apart for me is the "dance of the cacti" across the center of the image. it creates a visual energy that delights the eye. it also serves as an interesting bridge between the inimate complexity of the foreground and the large scale grandeur of the background.

the natural "tilt" of the landscape, that is so disturbing to the more level-headed crowd, is just that - natural. placing it closer to the center line of the image could minimize its sloping effect, but then you'd have to deal with the "centrists". either way, it's a natural part of the scene.
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by Andrew Mc on Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:18 am
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
The clouds look a little blown out, but I like the overall feel of the image. The slope is noticable, but feels natural (via the cacti being vertical). I like the soft colours which give a different feel to the more cliched desert shot.
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:46 pm
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
Nice overall feel to this image.
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

9 posts |