Motif: Waterfall in the Desert? Would you Believe?

Posted by biologist on Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Would you believe there is a waterfall in the desert that flows all year long? Well there is one and it is located in Death Valley. Waterfall is Darwin Falls.

Tech:
Nikon F5
Nikkor 80-200
Warming Filter

Enjoy Eric the Desert Rat

Posted by:
biologist
Forum Contributor

by Maxis Gamez on Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
I like the water effect. However I think a vertical composition would look better than horizontal, focusing only in the waterfall. Just my opinion. :wink:
Maxis Gamez

by Harvey Edelman on Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:55 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Nice image but I agree that a vertical would probably work much better here.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:04 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Mmm, I like this horizonal composition. Gives a sense of environment.
Ken Cravillion

by biologist on Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:06 pm
biologist
Forum Contributor
Took both Horizontal and Vertical.. Did not like the Vertical of just the waterfall only.. Was or seemed to be too static i guess..
like a record shot...

by Maxis Gamez on Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:07 pm
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
biologist wrote:Took both Horizontal and Vertical.. Did not like the Vertical of just the waterfall only.. Was or seemed to be too static i guess..
like a record shot...
Can you post that image here, so we can see it? :lol:
Maxis Gamez

by stevebein on Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:16 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
I've been there. It is a treat. This is an excellent shot of the fall and its environs.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A vertical and removal of the blue cast - I seem some realy possibilities here.

by blovius on Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:47 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
i think vertical vs horizontal is a mute point here. in either case, what i think the image needs is even more enviroment. what would be esp interesting would be a sense of enviroment that gives a hint of its desert location. as it is, this could be anywhere.

i still don't understand the notion of eviserated water. looks like a piece of installation art - kinda like Cristo hung cotton gauze down the cliff face.

in my experience a warming filter is not going to cut it here in a scene with such high uv content. you need to do some global AND selective color work to natural it up.
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by biologist on Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:44 pm
biologist
Forum Contributor
Cannot give you any more of its environs.. The waterfall is in a somewhat narrow canyon in Death valley area. Ther is no way of giving a better scope of the desert scene this is pretty much it.
I had used a KR6 filter here which is equivalent to a 81E/F filter... I personally like the coolness of the slight blue cast in it being it was in total shade and actually cooler in the canyon that out where the car was parked befor walking in there...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think vertical vs horizontal is a mute point here. in either case, what i think the image needs is even more enviroment. what would be esp interesting would be a sense of enviroment that gives a hint of its desert location. as it is, this could be anywhere.

i still don't understand the notion of eviserated water. looks like a piece of installation art - kinda like Cristo hung cotton gauze down the cliff face.

in my experience a warming filter is not going to cut it here in a scene with such high uv content. you need to do some global AND selective color work to natural it up.

10 posts |