Grizzly from Denali

Posted by AlexC on Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
Grizzly-Denali-Alaska

Finally, I, am getting the courage to look at my Grizzly images from my trek to Denali in September, I say courage because I am feeling kind of childish at the lost opportunities while there, I know I should let go and take what I got, I am sure one day I will get over this somehow!!
This bear was voraciously feeling on berries, with temperatures dipping into the mid to low thirties they are getting the message that winter is coming, Unlike the Kodiak Bears who have unlimited food supplies, the Denali Grizzlies feast mostly on berries and the occasional mammal who is sick or not fast enough to get out their way, somehow they manage to survive in this severe climate to which they have adapted so well!!
I know it is a little contrasty but that's the way I remember it!!
D1X,400mm afs-f/2.8 + 2X, FL=800mm, 1/1000sec-f/5.6, EV=-0.3, ISO=400
Any and all comments welcome!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by John Pennoyer on Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:13 pm
John Pennoyer
Forum Contributor
Great exposure on the bear, I do like the habitat that it is in. It would have been nice to have a highlit in the eye. But the position of the head, lets the viewer know that he is really studying those berries!
John P
http://www.impressionsofnature.net

by AlexC on Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:16 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
John wrote:
It would have been nice to have a highlit in the eye
John, I would have loved to have a catchlite as well, with Grizzlies and Kodiak bears unless they are looking into the sun it's almost impossible to see their eyes, it's brown on brown , I know first hand how frustrating this is!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gotta love the fall colors. Lack of a catchlight doesn't bother me on this one.

by T Williams on Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:04 pm
T Williams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00035
I love the bear surrounded by the red foliage. Great timing to get this pose and composition.
Tom
NSN 0035

by LHays on Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:41 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Alex
This is a gorgeous grizzly. Given the circumstances that you had, you made the most of it. You were shooting bears in the wild!!!! You did quite well. The lost opportunities were things out of your control and I know you will get over it. You'll just have to plan another trip!!!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Kelly on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:21 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Alex, Great shot! The colors in the landscape are very nice. This one looks like it's doing very well on berries.
Kelly O'Neill

by Cindy Marple on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:47 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I love the colors. What a beautiful place to be gobbling down berries. I don't mind the lack of catchlight.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by walkinman on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:42 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Alex,

Most folks wish they got this much light during their trip to Alaska! :D

A shot of a wild grizzly is always rewarding, and a pleasure to view. The hardest part of shooting them in Denali is getting them to stop eating for long enough to catch a clean shot. It's amazing how many berries they can put away.

I'm guessing this was taken from a bus?

I really enjoy viewing your Alaska images, especially the Denali stuff. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers

Carl
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

by Dennis Olivero on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:58 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
The colors in the background really make this one for me.. I am with Carl, I am really enjoying your alaska portfolio. Keep em coming Alex.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by AlexC on Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:36 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Carl wrote:
Most folks wish they got this much light during their trip to Alaska!

A shot of a wild grizzly is always rewarding, and a pleasure to view. The hardest part of shooting them in Denali is getting them to stop eating for long enough to catch a clean shot. It's amazing how many berries they can put away.

I'm guessing this was taken from a bus?
Carl, We were very lucky to catch two days of wonderful sunny weather, early morning was not as bright but by mid morning the sun came out for most of the day, the temperature ranged from the low to mid thirties in the morning to the mid forty's at noon, and the wind was not too bad, I agree that capturing a good image of these bears from a bus is a lucky thing, all my images from this trip with the exception of the landscapes are from inside the bus, resting my lens on open window edge or from the front door that the driver sometimes opened for Us, The bears did not stop for a second while eating, he ate as if he was starved for berries, rarely lifting his head in the process, Thanks for looking!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]

by Neil Fitzgerald on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:10 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Love the habitat. I didn't even nitice the catch light at first and it is usually the first thing i see.

by Laura Stiefel on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:15 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Another terrific Alaska shot Alex! I love the red berries! It sounds like an amazing trip.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Bill Keown on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:24 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Beautiful fall colors and a nice vear to go with them. Very nice job on the capture, from experience not an easy thing.

Bill Keown

by Bob Ettinger on Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:19 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Alex,

I would love to have one like this.
Bob Ettinger

by Rich S on Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:49 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
I'm another that would love to have a shot like this. The colors in the environment nicely complement the bear. Would like a little more room on the bottom but I'm guessing that you've cropped it this way to remove something low.

Rich

by Jill on Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:35 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Very, very beautiful image, Alex. The Monet-like BG is splendidly colorful. Great grizzly ... and captured from a bus is no easy task either. As always, thanks for sharing!!
Jill Rosenfield

17 posts |