Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Neil Fitzgerald on Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
FYI,
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory ... /story.htm

I don't know enough to comment but it may be of interest.
Topic Locked  

by Greg Downing on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:00 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
So, let me get this straight. Fish and Game wants to outlaw the feeding of Eagles for photography but at the same time allows feeding of bears so they can be blown away at pointblank range. Makes perfect sense to me...
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]
Topic Locked  

by Greg Downing on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
It gets better as you read on:

"The Alaska Board of Game, a panel appointed by Republican Gov. Frank Murkowski, has determined that the grizzly bear-killing program is needed to increase residents' opportunities to successfully hunt moose, said Fish and Game spokeswoman Cathie Harms. "

Yeah, that makes even more sense.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]
Topic Locked  

by Kim Kaiser on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:17 pm
Kim Kaiser
Forum Contributor
i dont know why it surprises anyone,,,,, first it was the wolves,,shot from airplaness,,,to get more moose,,,now its the bears,to kill more moose,,,,,,doing same thing in MT,,trying to blame drops in elk pop on strickly intro of wolves,, where new study indicates grissly is the culprit,,,,again, its all about the money. appparently, the moose hunting lobby has more money than the griz or wolf lobby,,money talks and BS walks,,,

given this thought and lack of concern of the system as a whole,, i for one propose speeding the global warming,,, there for we can go ahead and hav ehte polar bear die off due to lack of acces to seals for his diet due to lack of ice,and all the associated systems that they affect ,that way, i just think it would be easier to do, we wont have to hear about them ever again,, that or just have one big season and kill em all and let God sort em out,,, as they used to say,,,,and to also just go ahead an pull there gall bladders out and sell, may be it will ease the demand on the black bear pop for a year or two,,,that way, alaska can get just a little more money from the gall sales,,,,i think i am gonna go to the bathroom and take a big murkowski!
Topic Locked  

by Michael Brown on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:53 pm
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
I don't know why this thread suddenly has me thinking of the movie "Logan's Run"! :roll:
Give them time I guess!!
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]
Topic Locked  

by PF on Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:57 am
PF
Forum Contributor
Isn't it possible to use baits to attract the hunters and bring them in the paws of the bears ?
I'm serious.
PF
[url=http://www.p-f.ch]www.p-f.ch[/url]
Topic Locked  

by Ron Niebrugge on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:17 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
I almost added this to the Eagle thread after reading it in yesterday’s paper, but thought I would wait until I could write more rationally.

You summed it up Greg, it is ok to bait a Griz if you shoot it, but you might not be able to feed a bird to take its picture. If it turns out eagles kill moose, we could probably start killing them as well.

I’m not trying to sound anti hunting. Even though I choose not to hunt, my family has hunted for generations. Using bait for hunting is something that isn’t widely supported even among hunters.
Topic Locked  

by Ron Niebrugge on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:43 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Kim Kaiser wrote:again, its all about the money. appparently, the moose hunting lobby has more money than the griz or wolf lobby,,money talks and BS walks,,,
Although I don’t agree with the policy, I don’t agree with your analysis either. I don’t think it has anything to do with money, and everything to do with moose. In fact, I think the wolf and bear lobbies do have, and spend, much more money then the moose lobby – they are the ones paying for the full page ads in the papers and on TV that we regularly see in Alaska. The Game Board, appointed by the Governor have their own agenda.

The Governor is from the interior, as so is a large part of his constituency. Many people from the interior, native and white, count on getting a moose or caribou each fall. I know many years my family did. There is a lot of pressure from this constituency to do something about the rapid drop in moose population in some of these areas. Personally, I think these populations naturally rise and fall - at the current pace we would soon see a drop in wolf and bear populations and a return in moose – and so on, but unfortunately, probably not fast enough for an elected official.
Topic Locked  

by Ron Niebrugge on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:56 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
As long as I’m venting – another frustrating Game board decision is the one to not expand the wolf protection buffer around Denali. The alpha female and a few other members of the often observed East Fork Pack were legally trapped just outside the boundary this winter. These are a couple wolves I have spent many hours searching for and watching over the years. It seems we can at least protect this one pack of wolves.
Topic Locked  

by Kim Kaiser on Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:26 pm
Kim Kaiser
Forum Contributor
in some form or another,, money is the root,,when you dig deep enough,,,,it may not be on the surface apparent,, quiet money is the worst,, you cant see it coming,,,
THE-SILVERTIP.COM Lodging, Gallery, Gardiner, MT
Topic Locked  

10 posts |