fall portage

Posted by blovius on Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
just after a portage on Lows lake, N Central Adirondacks, Canon EOS IX, color negative film
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

Posted by:
blovius
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This image fits the motif well and has some nice fall colors in it. The camera was significantly tilted here and the photo needs a large amount of rotation in the counter clockwise direction. Also, composing the shot so that the boat is off center to the left would have made it better compositionally.

by blovius on Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:17 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
why does everyone seem to get disturbed by a tilted camera?

In this image it was done deliberately. Canoeists seem to understand immediately, the tilt adds a bit of "being there" and a sense of being on the water.

I always get the "off center" comment to much of my work. Even though I am definetly an off-center kind a guy, I rarely put my center of interest (if there is one) off center. Why do what everybody else does?
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by stevebein on Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:58 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Mark, I could not resist responding to your comment. You are wrong with why do what everyone else does. Almost everyone who shoots, ie ,the general public, shoots with the subject bullseyed. The "guidlines" of composition, not RULES, suggest that the subject at a power point usually (USUALLY) is more pleasing than when centered. This is a guideline. The masters of painting understood that. One use of this is to leave space for the feeling of the subject to move into, such as with your canoeists on the left. Others use that to leave the subject leaving the frame to form a feeling of tension and uncertainty, are they heading to a rapids or waterfall, feel, then on the right of center..
Look at the images that feel more pleasing to you and you will probably see this effect. Many volumes have been written on "rules of composition" and will be continued to be so written. As you progress, you will see differences between slight changes in composition and how it effects you and the strength of the image. Basically, if you shoot for yourself, then you do whatever pleases you as you develop. If you shoot for sale or to display, then you should consider the guidelines.
That said, some amazingly well composed images have been bullseyed, but with full knowledge of composition and what will be created in the viewers mind.
It becomes fun. Your tilting was slight. Many tilts are deliberately made but most are done enough to show that it was deliberate. A slight tilt leaves a question in some minds. I do like a lot of your posts.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by matt kuchta on Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:47 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
centered implies stasis, off-center implies motion. This feels to "static" to me. There are times to break the tilt/centered guidelines - I think breaking the tilting guidelines can work here - since the POV is obviously on the water, and the reeds do guide the eye. But the centered comp feels too still. Just cropping a 1/2 inch off the left would do very nice things to the composition.

But then again, if you like it this way -then keep it. I can't tell you what you like and I won't try. But I will tell you why I might like it.
Keep em coming - especially if you like em.
cheers,
-matt
NSN 0017

by Jenny Ellerbe on Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:23 pm
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
Mark, I knew immediately upon seeing this that your tilt was deliberate (or at least it looked that way to me). But that could be because I kayak and going dowhill seems like a good idea. :)

When I first started shooting I used to center things also. I remember reading one of Art Wolfe's books where he shows different photos and explains why some work and some don't. I usually picked his "losers" as my "winners". I am indoctrinated now though and generally compose things off center unless there is a good reason NOT to. And I would like room in this frame for the canoeists to move into.

BUT, shoot what YOU like, even if your intention is to sell your work. You may or may not be successful but at least you are doing what you enjoy and what pleases you.
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

by blovius on Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:23 pm
blovius
Forum Contributor
Ok folks, how do I explain this without sounding "superior" or condescending? I'll try.

I appreciate the advise and response. Really. But I'm not looking for help in taking photos. I've been doing it for 30+ years with great success, both commercially and in the art world. My prints sell for mucho $ because they violate the rules and are not easy to digest in a single sitting. My day rate for commercial work hovers in the $1200 - 1500 range. I have shot for Kodak, Xerox, Corning, RayBan, Heinz, Sprint, to name a few. I have done a stint as photo critic for the prestigious New Art Examiner. Eastman Kodak has invited me to be a judge for the final round of the International Snapshot Competition (along with the then photo editor of Nat Geo). I have been a guest lecturer at RIT School of Photography. I have 2 published hardbound books of my work. Blah, blah, blah, blah blah.

Believe me, I know the rules. But, I never shoot with them in mind nor view the work of others with that in mind. Criteria #l is does the work speak to me beyond the obvious. Eye candy is sweet but rarely satisfying to the soul or the mind. Surprise me with YOUR vision, don't pander to mine. Make me think, open new doors in my perception, not about photography but about life and the world we inhabit. Seek out the unexpected and undervalued and bring it to light.

By exposing my work here on naturescapes, and by interacting with members, I hope to expand and develop my vision, my ability to touch others beyond their sense of sight. I'll tell you how your vision(s) touch me. Please tell me how mine touches you.

Re; the image - The canoe is centered in the image to create a sense of stillness - the reality of the scene was unbelieveably still and quiet. Motion FOR THE VIEWERS EYE in this image is created by the grasses and the multiple points of color and light and dark that dance across the surface of the print, and, of course, the tilt of the horizon.
Mark Hobson

by matt kuchta on Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:05 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
If your work speaks to you, that's the prime thing. I'd like to see more.
NSN 0017

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
blovius wrote:I appreciate the advise and response. Really. But I'm not looking for help in taking photos.
Then you may want to state in your posts - "This image is for exhibit only - critiques are not desired" or something like that - these are photo critique forums so if that is not what you want then you need to say so.

by blovius on Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:00 pm
blovius
Forum Contributor
I didn't say that I don't want critiques. What I said was that I would like to interact with members on something other than a technical/technique level. I would like to discuss "vision", The power of photography to communicate beyond the obvious and the pretty. How do my images make the viewer feel? That's the criteria I will use to critique the work of others.
Mark Hobson

by Ken Cravillion on Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:21 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Well, I feel like the canoers are going to slide right out of the frame...
Ken Cravillion

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:15 pm
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
blovius wrote:I didn't say that I don't want critiques. What I said was that I would like to interact with members on something other than a technical/technique level. I would like to discuss "vision", The power of photography to communicate beyond the obvious and the pretty. How do my images make the viewer feel? That's the criteria I will use to critique the work of others.
This image makes me feel as if the photographer didn't have much skill or vision. I don't intend to be mean. I am just honestly responding to your request to know how this viewer feels.
After I wrote this, I checked your website. Although I didn't look at all of your images the ones that I saw were very nice. This one looks as if a totally different person made it.
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by blovius on Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:00 pm
blovius
Forum Contributor
I feel that something must be wrong. I usually only commit mayhem, not take photos, when my other personality takes over.
Mark Hobson

by Roger Rouch on Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:39 pm
Roger Rouch
Forum Contributor
All else aside, I like the tilt!

From the philosophy end, which I couldn't resist a comment upon, the "rules are guildlines" are not only for those who sell their work, but those who view them. We are all different in what we want out of photos. I want people to see my photos and connect to an element of nature. The rules and guidelines are probably an easy way to get to that end as they probably are an average of what most people like and are prescribed. Yet it is quite refreshing to see another perspective. Among those interesting perspectives may be a strike to what is appealing. I think this forum is a place to ask opinions and see if that strike has been made, but there are other ways to ask how appealing an image might be as well.

by stevebein on Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:14 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
What web site. I only found a painter, not photographer on a web search. I remember in the 60's many "art " items which my uninformed and unapreciative mind could not comprehend, understand or appreciate, but many words of description were written about. I always thought the critice did a good job of creative speculation. . Perhaps you are better at understanding some of those things, or even contributed.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

15 posts |