Motif: Coyote

Posted by Juan A. Pons on Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Coyote (Canis latrans)

When we encountered this Coyote at Haden Valley in Yellowstone, I was just not sure who was stalking whom. At one point my partner got ahead of me by maybe 50-60 feet and this guy/gal just decided to trot right between the two of us, not 30 feet away from me. The good news is that I had the sun (my partner had the shadow), the bad news, I had too much lens on(my partner was using the 100-400)!!!

So yes this image is a little too tight. You are seeing the full frame. Wish I had more of the tail, but sometimes you just have to be happy with what you get.

I know the motif entry is a bit of a stretch, but what really strikes me about these guys is how their coats are just a perfect match for this somewhat dry sagebrush. If he was not moving there would have been no way we would have seen him.

All comments appreciated.

-J

1/1000
f5.6
ISO 100
Exposure compensation -2/3

Canon 10D
Canon 300/4 IS
Canon 1.4 TC

P.S. What do you think of the grasshopper?
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

Posted by:
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028

by Steve Mason on Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:22 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
You're right, their coat really matches the dry grasses.
I often have the opposite problem with these guys, not enough lens.
Good looking subject, even if a bit tight in the frame :)
Steve Mason

by Matt Cox on Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:33 am
Matt Cox
Forum Contributor
Juan -- The light is very nice in this photo, and you really show off the texture and color of this animal's coat. The exposure and pose are great. Given the lens you were caught with, I think you made the right decision to clip the tail in order the give the animal enough room in front of it in the frame, but I think the shot might have been improved by aiming lower, using some of the empty space on top to avoid clipping his legs as well.
Matt Cox

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Always an interesting animal - I have learned to remove a TC and reattach the lens in about 3 seconds - that would have helped a lot here.

by Bill Keown on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:11 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Just hate it when you've got too much lens on and the subject is moving through. Great you had the light and did a good job at eposure and catching the detail.

5 posts |