Sunset in the Atacama desert

Posted by Rich S on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:30 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
I don't shoot a lot of landscapes. Highest point in my county is the landfill! But sometimes, I can't avoid it.

This was taken looking east at sunset from a small oasis in the Atacama Desert in Chile. Only adjustment is a slight curves to lighten the foreground and darken the sky and then USM. I don't like the vignetting at all and am curious if anyone has any thoughts either about what caused it (it's there even before the curves adjustment) or how to remove it. Only thing I can think of for a cause is the haze filter pretty much permanently attached to the lens, but it's not something that shows up regularly as I would have expected with that cause.

I should add that the light stuff in the foreground is trash, which is ubiquitous in the Atacama. Leave it and it will be there 100 years later. Was tempted to crop it out, but it wouldn't be the Atacama without it.

1Ds, 100-400 at 340, 1/60 at f8, ISO 250.

Rich

Posted by:
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019

by Ken Cravillion on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:35 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
I would personally crop the stuff off the bottom. You have nice light on the mountains.

Don't know why about the vignetting since you were at f/8 and not even at the widest FL???

I saw vignetting in the 300 2.8 once but that was from shooting wide open...
Ken Cravillion

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I had exactly the same thought about the bottom as Ken did. As for the vignetting, I find that every lens does this at every aperture on the 1Ds to some extent - I think it may be necause the light is hitting the sensor sites at an angle on the full frame sensor thereby reducing their sensitivity.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:52 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
I think cropping the trash makes for a more attractive image, but given your explanation of why you left it, I think it very nicely documents the problem.

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:56 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
I'm not so sure that I would crop the bottom. It adds another layer and different color
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

5 posts |