Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:15 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I like it natural and so does the northern hawk owl.  Hunting along a roadside ditch, it took two attempts before the owl snagged a vole. 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:28 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Photographed on Brownlee near Eagleson late in the day.

by wdg on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
Only 1 great gray and no other owls (northern hawk) are in an area where there are usually a number during winter. Still have only found the one Snowy here.
Read that the Snowy is being listed as vulnerable.
It’s not winter without Snowys …

by wdg on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:22 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
Love the photos 😊

by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:13 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
wdg wrote: Only 1 great gray and no other owls (northern hawk) are in an area where there are usually a number during winter. Still have only found the one Snowy here.
Read that the Snowy is being listed as vulnerable.
It’s not winter without Snowys …
A surprisingly lack of great gray owl sightings so far where I live.  I'm sure there are a couple around but likely no one is reporting them.  The lack of snow in November and December into early January may have played a part as they don't have to move as far south to find good hunting ground.  The Sax Zim Bog has at least one great gray owl and a northern hawk owl if I recall reading about. 

Based on articles I've read, it didn't look to be a good breeding season for snowy owls up north in the Artic.  This is most likely the major factor for not seeing many snowy owls this winter.  We have one or two snowy owls in my immediate area.  Everyone in Ottawa (photographers and birders) is gravitating to the one known snowy owl located in the Eagleson and Fallowfield area.  Lots of people visit every day.  I expect to see a lot more snowy owls next winter.  

Look at the northern hawk owl.  Last winter was a bad year to see this species down here.  But they made up for it this winter.  Have a look at the eBird Species Map.  

by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:16 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
wdg wrote: Love the photos 😊
Thanks.  I plan a couple more visits to see the northern hawk owl.  And a few snowy owls in that same region including a tagged male snowy named Hochelaga with a transmitter on its back.  

by OntPhoto on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:15 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The winter owl season is soon coming to a close.  Yet another northern hawk owl shows up near Ottawa.  It has been a very nice winter for seeing northern hawk owls.

27 posts |