Horsehead Nebula

Posted by Dan Kearl on Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
I took this image in a very short span of clear sky last month with a new 700mm telescope. Combined with the Crop sensor asi533mc astro camera, this is a view of the famous nebula in Orion at 1890mm effective focal length.
A lot of people don't understand why some Nebula are named what they are, The Horsehead Nebula needs no explanation.
Askar 103 scope, Zwo asi533mc color camera, Radian triad filter.
PP in Pixinsight, Capture one, Affinity and PS.
Click on image for better view.

Posted by:
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:35 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Appropriately named and such a cool capture of it. Thanks for sharing, Dan!
Axel Hildebrandt

by John Labrenz on Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:41 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
WOW

This is amazing!

by Swissblad on Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:34 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Very impressive image - great capture and processing.

Thanks for sharing.

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Another stunner! What is the bright area below the horse's head?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:20 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Just amazing. You are right about the naming, although I don't understand why that would puzzle some people. Hey, ho.
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Dan Kearl on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:36 am
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Cynthia, the bright area below the Horsehead is NGC 2023, a very large reflection nebula.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:33 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Another stunning capture of this amazing Nebula Dan. This is quite magical.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Mark Boranyak on Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:10 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
I became fascinated by astronomy as a kid after viewing images of this famous nebula.. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

Outstanding photography.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Excellent shot of this nebula!

by DavePat on Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:32 pm
DavePat
Forum Contributor
Member #:02170
This is pretty up close and personal.  Great job.  I wonder if you can comment on the number of lights you stacked and the length of the total exposure for the final image?  How bright was the sky in the area this image was taken? Since the Radian filter you used only lets through some very narrow band light frequencies, can you also comment on the benefits/strengths/weaknesses of this filter as an effective light pollution filter compared to the regular light pollution filters that are out there? Thanks for your photo and expertise.

by Dan Kearl on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
DavePat wrote: This is pretty up close and personal.  Great job.  I wonder if you can comment on the number of lights you stacked and the length of the total exposure for the final image?  How bright was the sky in the area this image was taken? Since the Radian filter you used only lets through some very narrow band light frequencies, can you also comment on the benefits/strengths/weaknesses of this filter as an effective light pollution filter compared to the regular light pollution filters that are out there? Thanks for your photo and expertise.
Thanks Dave, this was just 2 hours  (24-3 min. exposures). I would normally not do 3 minutes on the horsehead if Alnitak was in the frame as it
blows everything out. With the focal length I was at I was able to keep it our of the frame and do longer subs.
The Horsehead and nearby Orion M42 are so bright it doesn't take much time to get a decent image.
I shoot Orion with 30 and 60 second subs. I would shoot the Horsehead at 60-120 seconds if it was a wider view.
Most deep space objects I shoot 5-10 minute, I have good mounts and guidescopes so it isn't a problem with astro cooled cameras.
The Radian filter I have was crazy expensive ($1000), they no longer make them as nobody could afford them.
There are a lot of good filters out now that are similar by Antila and Optolong that are in the $2-300 range that are probably as good.
I can shoot the Radian filter in Full moon.
I bought a Mono camera and went the full narrowband route also on one setup that works really well also except not as well in Full moon as
the Radian on a color camera.
I live in the center of Portland, Oregon, all of these filters work amazing for light pollution considering where I shoot.

by DavePat on Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:01 pm
DavePat
Forum Contributor
Member #:02170
Dan Kearl wrote:
DavePat wrote: This is pretty up close and personal.  Great job.  I wonder if you can comment on the number of lights you stacked and the length of the total exposure for the final image?  How bright was the sky in the area this image was taken? Since the Radian filter you used only lets through some very narrow band light frequencies, can you also comment on the benefits/strengths/weaknesses of this filter as an effective light pollution filter compared to the regular light pollution filters that are out there? Thanks for your photo and expertise.
Thanks Dave, this was just 2 hours  (24-3 min. exposures). I would normally not do 3 minutes on the horsehead if Alnitak was in the frame as it
blows everything out. With the focal length I was at I was able to keep it our of the frame and do longer subs.
The Horsehead and nearby Orion M42 are so bright it doesn't take much time to get a decent image.
I shoot Orion with 30 and 60 second subs. I would shoot the Horsehead at 60-120 seconds if it was a wider view.
Most deep space objects I shoot 5-10 minute, I have good mounts and guidescopes so it isn't a problem with astro cooled cameras.
The Radian filter I have was crazy expensive ($1000), they no longer make them as nobody could afford them.
There are a lot of good filters out now that are similar by Antila and Optolong that are in the $2-300 range that are probably as good.
I can shoot the Radian filter in Full moon.
I bought a Mono camera and went the full narrowband route also on one setup that works really well also except not as well in Full moon as
the Radian on a color camera.
I live in the center of Portland, Oregon, all of these filters work amazing for light pollution considering where I shoot.
Thank you. This really helps me get up to speed.

by Peter Ireland on Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:48 am
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
I would say a seahorse rather than a horse,but nonetheless, a wondrous capture.

by Mary Brun on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:49 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Wonderful, I can see Pegasus.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

15 posts |