All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by Tim Grams on Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:53 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Alaska's constitution specifically requires that fish and game resources be managed for "maximum sustainable harvest." Other user groups, such as wildlife viewing and photography, have little to no influence especially, with a Republican governor in office. The Board of Game manages wildlife resources for the state and the board members are appointed by the governor. 

This article discusses the culling of bears and wolves, with an emphasis on the Wood-Tikchik State Park in southwest AK.  I did a 12 day trip on the Wood River lakes this past September. There were still plenty of brown (grizzly) bears- I saw tracks on every beach that I landed and had bears very close to my tent on more than a few nights. (The only feasible place to camp is on the beaches, which is where the bears travel and pick up sockeye salmon carcasses, so I was invading their space.) None of the bears bothered any of my gear. I did not see many bears during the day, and when I did they left quickly since hunting is permitted in the state park.   

The Wood River drains into Bristol Bay, which has the largest sockeye salmon runs in the world. I crossed paths with a fisheries researcher that had worked in the area for over 20 years. So far the sockeyes are one of the winners with global warming- they are benefiting from the warmer waters in the lakes (Kulik, Beverly, Nerka and Aleknegik). The number of sockeyes that I saw was truly impressive. Which is the main food source for the bears. The culling of bears and wolves is to benefit human hunters.

https://alaskapublic.org/2024/01/10/ala ... sed-doors/
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by TomWalker on Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:16 pm
TomWalker
Forum Contributor
Thanks for posting, Tim. The helicopters are already contracted for another round of slaughter. ADF&G  admin has been dishonest in its public response. A shameful and disgraceful episode soon to be repeated.

2 posts |