What do you think of this composition

Posted by Matthew Studebaker on Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Guys I'm struggling with the compositions from this sequence of images. Be brutal. You can see I cropped with just a little room on the right of the right bear, left of the left bear, and reasonable space at the top. I left room for the crossed paws but cropped off the inactive paw of the right bear. Does that bother you? They were fighting so close I didn't quite get their feet in the frame with my 600mm.

For exposure and processing, I exposed for the highlights on the fur, letting a few of the hottest whites go on the water. That, in turn, left the overall scene a little dark. So . . . is it too dark for you like this? Honest feedback is the only way to get better. I'm second guessing how dark the blacks have become. 
 Nikon 600mm f4, Nikon D850, 1/3200, f4, ISO 800. 
Matthew Studebaker
website  | flickr blog | facebook

Posted by:
Matthew Studebaker
Forum Contributor
Member #:00957

by david fletcher on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:03 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Here goes my thoughts Matthew.

1.  It's your view so stick with how you like it.  Composition, feelings, how we see images that please us are subjective.  The most important person to satisfy is yourself if that makes sense.
2.  Re the image.  The paw doesn't bother me.  Cropping with the space you left on the right makes sense as we "westerners" view left to right, leaving the image weighted in the right where we would normally like it.
3.  Not too dark for processing and don't care about the water highlights.  Over processing can remove any feeling and emotion left in an image and make it sterile.  Besides, there needs to be shadow areas to provide shape and form.

Good to see you around.  My comments are views only and no one was hurt in the process.  LOL

Works for me!
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:10 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Great questions! Nice you feel comfortable asking. Can you include the "missing" paw? I'd like to see that, unless it wasn't in the frame at all. (Not sure what is actually missing in the original)  Don't mind the crop otherwise. I guess you might end up with a square crop though? Unless you can widen the sides a bit?  A click on this brightens it up quite a bit. Looks good.  The water adds a lot to the drama. If you posted the whole  picture in a reply, it would , perhaps be easier to evaluate what you did here.
Great dramatic shot!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Axel Hildebrandt on Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:49 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Great interaction, I could also see this as a tighter crop emphasizing the heads. I might try to lift the midtones a bit to get more details in the darker parts of the fur.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Mary Brun on Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:24 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Great shot and great action. I agree with David entirely.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by paul fletcher on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:51 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
A wonderful dramatic image, Matthew ! Perhaps seeing the paw on the right bear would add a little to the photograph, but that's just my opinion, and the image as it stands would certainly be considered by all viewers to be very special. ( Thank you for reviewing my recent Cooper's Hawk submission, for the Naturescapes Birds Gallery category).

by Matthew Studebaker on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:33 pm
Matthew Studebaker
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote: Here goes my thoughts Matthew.

1.  It's your view so stick with how you like it.  Composition, feelings, how we see images that please us are subjective.  The most important person to satisfy is yourself if that makes sense.
2.  Re the image.  The paw doesn't bother me.  Cropping with the space you left on the right makes sense as we "westerners" view left to right, leaving the image weighted in the right where we would normally like it.
3.  Not too dark for processing and don't care about the water highlights.  Over processing can remove any feeling and emotion left in an image and make it sterile.  Besides, there needs to be shadow areas to provide shape and form.

Good to see you around.  My comments are views only and no one was hurt in the process.  LOL

Works for me!

ok that helps David I really appreciate the feedback!
Matthew Studebaker

by Matthew Studebaker on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:33 pm
Matthew Studebaker
Forum Contributor
Mary Brun wrote: Great shot and great action. I agree with David entirely.
ok thanks very much!
Matthew Studebaker

by Matthew Studebaker on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm
Matthew Studebaker
Forum Contributor
paul fletcher wrote: A wonderful dramatic image, Matthew ! Perhaps seeing the paw on the right bear would add a little to the photograph, but that's just my opinion, and the image as it stands would certainly be considered by all viewers to be very special. ( Thank you for reviewing my recent Cooper's Hawk submission, for the Naturescapes Birds Gallery category).

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Thanks very much for the feedback Paul!!!
Matthew Studebaker

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:32 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
As Dave put it very eloquently; "The most important person to satisfy is yourself if that makes sense."
However, I like the action image of these Bears very much myself.

by bruco63 on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:00 am
bruco63
Forum Contributor
Member #:01808
Great interaction, terrific shot!

11 posts |