Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:23 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
My Gitzo works great after all these years (bought in 2008?).  I had to recently purchase some new hose clamps from Gitzo as a pair of hose clamps on the lower leg must have fallen out or fell back into an upper leg.  I heard some crunching sound, so that must be a hose clamp grinding onto something.  Part of the lower leg can't be closed completely, maybe something further up is blocking (I'm guessing the lost hose clamp).

I'm also looking to grease the threads.  I want to buy the Gitzo grease but it's out of stock at some places.  I heard that white lithium grease will work, maybe not perfectly?  I'm wondering what kind of grease you use on your Gitzo tripods? 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:25 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is one that was recommended by one of the tripod companies:

Syl-glide

Here’s a link to cleaning and maintenance of a tripod:

https://www.naturescapes.net/articles/r ... nce-guide/

And another one here:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2 ... our-tripod

Here’s another alternative to Gitzo:

Pro Media Gear

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:40 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've used white lithium grease for a long time. finding a small tube is a challenge.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:29 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote: I've used white lithium grease for a long time.  finding a small tube is a challenge.
O'Reilly Auto has these and, sometimes  they have tiny packets where they have Loctite and disk brake lube. Usually, they are at the counter.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/pe ... ease&pos=3

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... tore=12164

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:52 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote: I've used white lithium grease for a long time.  finding a small tube is a challenge.
Thanks for the suggestion to both you and Joe.  I found a tube at our local hardware retailer.  Also available on Amazon Canada. I also found the missing set of hose clamps at the top of the first leg.  The hose clamps likely came loose on the lower leg and then eventually found its way up to the top legs when I turned the tripod upside down.  The hose clamps had slipped from the bottom leg all the way up to the top tripod leg.  They dropped out when I took out the top leg. 

by Bill Chambers on Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:54 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Lithium grease will probably work fine, but I use a bicycle grease that I believe is far superior to lithium.

It's inexpensive and easily available thru Amazon.  Since I found this stuff, it has become my most used grease for most everything. Sticky, long lasting, waterproof - great stuff!  -  Finish Line Grease

If I were to choose a 2nd choice I would just go back to what I used to use, and that was just a squirt of wheel bearing grease on my finger very lightly wiped on the threads of my Gitzo legs.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by OntPhoto on Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:24 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Bill Chambers wrote: Lithium grease will probably work fine, but I use a bicycle grease that I believe is far superior to lithium.

It's inexpensive and easily available thru Amazon.  Since I found this stuff, it has become my most used grease for most everything. Sticky, long lasting, waterproof - great stuff!  -  Finish Line Grease

If I were to choose a 2nd choice I would just go back to what I used to use, and that was just a squirt of wheel bearing grease on my finger very lightly wiped on the threads of my Gitzo legs.
Thanks Bill.  I will keep this in mind.  I am a self-made bike mechanic.  Used to do long 1-day bike trips between Montreal and Ottawa, 200km in one day on an old 10-speed Puegeot with a heavy bag on a bicycle rack on a hot summer's day.  You find out very quickly what you're made of.  Ottawa to Kingston and also into Vermont.  You have to know how to repair bikes on a 200km trip including things like truing wheels and changing spokes on the road.  

7 posts |