All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Jim Zipp on Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:26 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
I currently use a Sony A1.  I have 8+ Canon flash units (580's mostly).  I also have a set of receivers and a transmitter for Canon that I use only rarely for hummingbird setups.

My question is if anyone has tried any of the flash converters to fire Canon flashes (in this case the transmitter).  I know they would be in manual only but that's what I use anyway.  All it would have to do is fire the transmitter.  

Open to suggestions other than buying 4 more Sony flashes when I have so many Canon's now.
Thanks,  Jim
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Alan Melle on Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:44 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Check out the Godox flash system highly recommended by Greg Basco. I believe EJ is also a user.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I do use the Godox but the downside is that they aren't compatible with the fast recharge external batteries that a lot of bird photographers like. They do come with a rechargeable battery pack though that is much better than AA batteries. The Canon flashes will likely fiore in fully manual mode even without a converter but once they go to sleep, the camera won't be able to wake them up. You have to cycle the power on the flash. At least that's how my Nikon flashes behaved.

by Phil Shaw on Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:11 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
You can still get a reasonable price for recent Canon EX580 flash units if you put them on ebay or other used equipment forums - wedding photographers will buy them. But since Canon produced the EX580 series, other manufacturers have come into the market. Godex (also marketed by Adorama under their own brand) is probably the best of these and compared to the cost of the OEM camera flash offerings, Godex is much less expensive for 90-95% of the functionality.

While older Nikon flash units (which have an Optical Slave Mode) will generally work with the more recent Godex systems, the Canon flash units will not - no optical slave mode. If you can find a receiver that will operate as an Optical Slave, then you will be able to use your Canon flash units with a Sony (or other (Godox)) flash in manual mode, setting the flash output on each of the Canon flashes manually.

If you are using the Sony A1 however, you should not overlook the ability to shoot at upto 30 frames per second with flash if you use the horrifically expensive Sony HVL-F60RM2 flash unit.

Most of my flash stuff is now Godox (for Sony), although I have one of the Sony HVL-F60RM2 units.

Not sure if this helps or not - but if you know any local wedding shooters, you may be able to do a deal for your Canon units - that's what I would do at this point.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Jim Zipp on Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:37 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
right now I have a couple of the Godox units that work ok.  Don't like the "beep" they make every time I shoot them but they do work well enough.  As E.J. says slower recycling too.  I remember having to set the canon flashes to not go to sleep.  Not something I use often so just hoping to get them working if I can.  They do sell a converter for Canon flashes on Sony that are super cheap that I might try.  I have used the Phottix transmitter and receivers that worked great.  If I remember right they 580's and 600 Canon were as expensive as the Sony.  I just can't justify buying all new for a day or two every couple years.  Phottix has departed the flash field.  I have 4 or 5 580's, a 550 and a 600 with 7 receivers and 2 transmitters if 2 are shooting.  Maybe I'll see if I can sell those and pick up something dedicated for Sony.  I rarely get around to selling accessories.  I think I have a couple Yognuo  units for Nikon. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I did get the beep off!  Jim
Jim Zipp

Last edited by Jim Zipp on Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Hmm, you may be able to turn that beep off in the menus - mine do not beep. Also, look for Cyber specials this week, you might be able to save on the Sony flashes.

by Jim Zipp on Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:23 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote: Hmm, you may be able to turn that beep off in the menus - mine do not beep.  Also, look for Cyber specials this week, you might be able to save on the Sony flashes.
Thanks E.J.  I'll did into that menu.  I use flash so rarely and mostly only in the tropics....  much less than in the old days. 
I do plan to pick up a Sony soon probably. I did order a small converter that supposedly goes on the Sony hot shoe and makes other brands fire.  Only in total manual mode but that's all I use in the wireless setup.  We'll see.  Jim
Jim Zipp

by Jim Zipp on Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:28 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
RESOLUTION: For anyone interested, I found the "fix".  First I ordered a little converter that goes on the Sony Body and converts it to a regular type flash connector.  I put my transmitter on it and receiver on a Canon flash and nothing.  Lying in bed last night I remembered a friend using Canon while we were in Costa Rica was having a hard time with his Canon flash.  Finally figured out you had to have the Canon body on Mechanical Shutter and flash didin't work with Electronic Shutter. 
I came down and switched my body to Mechanical and it works like a top.  In fact I tried the transmitter directly on the body without that converter and it worked fine too. 

Figured it was something in the Canon body and never thought it was the flash.  Sony flashes work in either shutter mode, in fact electronic has an even higher synch rate.  Oh well, problem solved!
Jim Zipp

by Phil Shaw on Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:06 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Thanks for the up-date. So much to remember these days!
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
One other thing to consider is that only the A1 (and presumably the new A9) will flash in electronic shutter mode. The a7R bodies will need to be put in mechanical shutter mode - this is due to sensor readout speed.

by Jim Zipp on Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:45 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote: One other thing to consider is that only the A1 (and presumably the new A9) will flash in electronic shutter mode.  The a7R bodies will need to be put in mechanical shutter mode - this is due to sensor readout speed.
Thanks E.J.  Good to know.  I have an A7R4 that has never been used that I have for a backup body so glad you said that.  With the A1 I've basically only used Electronic shutter since I got it.  Hopefully I'll never need to too!   Jim
Jim Zipp

by norbert on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:53 am
norbert
Forum Contributor
Jim Zipp wrote: RESOLUTION:   In fact I tried the transmitter directly on the body without that converter and it worked fine too. 
Jim, just for clarification: You use the regular Canon transmitter and receivers on the Sony? 
Norbert
http://www.naturphoto.at

by Jim Zipp on Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:24 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
norbert wrote:
Jim Zipp wrote: RESOLUTION:   In fact I tried the transmitter directly on the body without that converter and it worked fine too. 
Jim, just for clarification: You use the regular Canon transmitter and receivers on the Sony? 
Sorry, should have mentioned that.  My set is Phottix.  My units not made anymore.  Used them with all my canon and even a couple of off brands.  What I had hoped to do was get a Phottix transmitter that would hopefully fire my Phottix receivers but not available. 

As you probably know Sony uses a totally different connection between flash and body than others that I'm aware of.  What I found is that it still works.  Of course it's only in manual and not TTL etc but for what I use it for in this instance manual is all lI want.  Lucked out as it works perfectly.  I did pick up a new Sony flash for when flash is needed which isn't that often any more.
Jim Zipp

13 posts |