« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by TerreBois on Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:56 am
TerreBois
Forum Contributor
I've searched through the forum and haven't found a topic equivalent to this, so I apologize if one already exists. What are the best techniques for capturing birds in flight while ensuring optimal image sharpness? Do you have specific advice on camera settings, such as shutter speed, ISO, and aperture, for varying light conditions ?

Equipment: Nikon D5600 with a telephoto lens Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6.
My nature website: terre-bois.fr 🍃

by photoman4343 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:56 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Check out videos and books from Steve Perry at Backcountry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jcmNbqGrU
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:57 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Check out videos and books by Steve Perry at Backcountry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jcmNbqGrU

Or this link to try and avoid infomercials. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUi5G ... 6dS31cFCnQ
Joe Smith

Last edited by photoman4343 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by P.W.Post on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:59 am
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7awaDzxCgo

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:38 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
All the above will help a great deal.  Just a bit of info that might help.  

Size of the bird matters.  Flight might be considered as having three phases.  Take off.  Full flight and Landing.

Generally small birds at take off can jump straight into the air to get lift.  Larger birds need to generate air speed so may take a run at it, as a Swan would, and some large birds such as Hawks/eagles/vultures etc, from an elevated perch/hill to drop off and generate that air speed...  

Birds usually face into the wind as planes do at take off.  (exceptions might be a survival panic flight from a predator).  

Factor that in and bird behavior knowledge can place you in the best place to avoid lost opportunities.  
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:29 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
All good advice above. As for specific suggestions use a shutter speed of about 1/2000 to start. If the flight is of the slower version like a larger raptor coasting 1/1000 may do. Use wide open aperture. Don't frame too tightly. Give yourself some room to maintain focus and not clip wings. You can crop in post processing. When I was shooting with DSLR bodies I used center AF point with surround assist points. Now with mirrorless I use Animal Eye Focus. And the most important thing - practice and then practice some more. Sometimes there are gulls in large shopping center parking lots or on lake shores you can use for the practice.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Dave Weber on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:54 pm
Dave Weber
Forum Contributor
I got by for years with a manual focus lens. You get good at anticipating action and prefocusing.

Also, some cameras have a "catch in focus" feature you might want to check out (shutter clicks automatically when the subject is in focus).
Dave Weber
PhotoWallpaper@hotmail.com

by Karl Egressy on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:17 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
It looks to me that Axel Hildebrandt and Himadry Roy are the best BIF photographers on this site right now. Try to seek their advice by sending a message to them.  I know someone who became a great BIF shooter by practicing on Gulls up to six thousand frames per day, every day. If you don't do it on a regular basis, you get "rusty". My only advice on setting is; never use less speed than 1/2500s. For Hummingbirds I use 1/4000 s.

by TerreBois on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:10 am
TerreBois
Forum Contributor
Thank you very much for all your answers.
I'll make a note of it and study all the valuable advice.
My nature website: terre-bois.fr 🍃

9 posts |