Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Gene Gwin on Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:41 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Photographed in South Texas at the Laguna Seca Ranch mid-August.  To my surprise, there were a pretty big number of Yellow Warblers and a fair number of Least Flycatchers.  Yellow Warblers are in South Texas during the Winter and Spring Migration, but I have never seen them during the middle of the Summer.  Also, we keep track of the birds that have been photographed at the ranch, and there is no record that Least Flycatchers have ever been photographed there.  Curious if others are seeing a different migration.  The migration timing seems to be much different, also. 

by calvin1calvin on Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:15 am
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I am on the upper TX coast and have just started seeing some migrants coming through. A yellow warbler and prairie warbler just came through our area yesterday. Think the migration is starting but TX has had such brutal heat this summer don't know if past patterns are going to continue and/or the migration may occur later. It's been a strange weather year.

by Gene Gwin on Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:52 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
calvin1calvin wrote: I am on the upper TX coast and have just started seeing some migrants coming through.  A yellow warbler and prairie warbler just came through our area yesterday.  Think the migration is starting but TX has had such brutal heat this summer don't know if past patterns are going to continue and/or the migration may occur later.  It's been a strange weather year.
Calvin,
Curious, do you typically see Warblers in East Texas this early in the year?

by calvin1calvin on Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:31 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote:
calvin1calvin wrote: I am on the upper TX coast and have just started seeing some migrants coming through.  A yellow warbler and prairie warbler just came through our area yesterday.  Think the migration is starting but TX has had such brutal heat this summer don't know if past patterns are going to continue and/or the migration may occur later.  It's been a strange weather year.
Calvin,
Curious, do you typically see Warblers in East Texas this early in the year?
Occasionally at this time but it is a little early for fall migration.   We don't get the large numbers like the Spring.  Fyi, going to Laguna Seca in mid October and hoping f
or some good birds.

by Gene Gwin on Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:11 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Calvin,
I assume you will visit with the Beaumont Camera Club.  I think you will like your guide.  Will be around to help out as needed.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

by calvin1calvin on Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:25 am
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote: Calvin,
I assume you will visit with the Beaumont Camera Club.  I think you will like your guide.  Will be around to help out as needed.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Yes, will be with BCC.  I am looking forward to the trip and meeting Randall Patterson.  Stop by the blind, it will be nice to put a face with the name.  

by Mitash on Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:48 am
Mitash
Forum Contributor
Migration patterns can be unpredictable. I've seen some unusual bird activity during the summer too. Maybe climate changes are affecting their schedules.

by calvin1calvin on Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:39 am
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Had a fantastic trip to Laguna Seca Ranch. The ranch owner, Gene, was a great host and the blinds were fantastic. Had quite a few raptors, a small variety of songbirds and a few birds I have never photographed. If you have an opportunity to go to the ranch you will not be disappointed.

8 posts |