All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by LHays on Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:02 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
I have seen in past years, reports about Bosque for those interested in going to the Festival of Cranes or around that time.  Have there been any reports/predictions about the birds for this coming December?  I haven't been there since 2019 and was thinking about a trip this year.

Thanks.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
So far, things are looking pretty bleak. It's not the same as it used to be. Management seems to have let things go downhill really badly. The north loop has lots of wild sunflowers and little else. The south loop on the furthest point south has bare fields. It's been about four weeks or so since I've been down there, but at that time, all the wetlands were dry, with the exception of the Boardwalk Pond. They should be filling around now. There have been a lot of changes to much of the area. Many of the trees have burned and areas that offered cover have been cleared. It makes me sad to see what has become of a place that once was a real treasure. Whoever is in charge doesn't seem to know anything about where the wildlife and birds traditionally have hung around and the habitat that was important to all living creatures that call Bosque home. The Rookery has no trees anymore and the cattails have been cleared out, so even the Redwings and Black-crowned Night Herons have nowhere to take cover there. I've never seen it so mismanaged in 45 years or so. There will always be things to see and photograph, but it's definitely not like before. On the other hand, Bernardo (Ladd Gordon Complex) Refuge has plenty of corn and last year was excellent for Sandhill Cranes, Snow Geese and my personal favorite, Mountain Bluebirds. It's looking really good again this year.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by LHays on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:33 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
SantaFeJoe wrote: So far, things are looking pretty bleak. It's not the same as it used to be. Management seems to have let things go downhill really badly. The north loop has lots of wild sunflowers and little else. The south loop on the furthest point south has bare fields. It's been about four weeks or so since I've been down there, but at that time, all the wetlands were dry, with the exception of the Boardwalk Pond. They should be filling around now. There have been a lot of changes to much of the area. Many of the trees have burned and areas that offered cover have been cleared. It makes me sad to see what has become of a place that once was a real treasure. Whoever is in charge doesn't seem to know anything about where the wildlife and birds traditionally have hung around and the habitat that was important to all living creatures that call Bosque home. The Rookery has no trees anymore and the cattails have been cleared out, so even the Redwings and Black-crowned Night Herons have nowhere to take cover there. I've never seen it so mismanaged in 45 years or so. There will always be things to see and photograph, but it's definitely not like before. On the other hand, Bernardo (Ladd Gordon Complex) Refuge has plenty of corn and last year was excellent for Sandhill Cranes, Snow Geese and my personal favorite, Mountain Bluebirds. It's looking really good again this year.

Joe

I had known and seen the decline for quite a few years.  I was fortunate to have had a pretty good year in 2019 but I have always gone to other locations....San Mateo mountains, Truth or Consequences and Bernardo.   I can at least hit the other places but I am so sad about the decline. My first visit was 2003 and I returned most years.  Thank you for the information......I was hopeful when I posted the question that I would get something positive....but unfortunately not so.  I feel like it is a "point of no return" with the birds and wildlife to return......but sure hope that I'm wrong.

Lana
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:05 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Our long term drought has caused some of the problem of low water levels. I really don't understand why there is no corn or other crops, though. I haven't made any effort to talk to the refuge manager, partly because I don't want to rub her wrong. I've seen many changes to the refuge, but none as negative as in the last 5 years, or so. There has been an all-out effort to eliminate Tamarisk (Salt Cedar), or so it seems. This has affected other vegetation at the same time. The burns are puzzling, too. They have destroyed a lot of cover, which is obvious when you drive on the western portion of the north and south loops. Another puzzling thing is that much of the Coyote Willow has been butchered. It provides nesting areas for many birds, including the endangered Southwest Willow Flycatcher. Before, it was highly desirable and planted in many riparian areas to restore the historic vegetation along our waterways. I don't think the Bosque can be restored to it's historic conditions again in our lifetimes. It's really sad to see.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:10 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I went down to Bosque and Bernardo on Friday afternoon. Bernardo looks very promising with a lot of corn, but no birds yet. Bosque has started to see the arrival of some Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes, along with ducks. There were several White Pelicans, which is typical for October. The fields still look pretty bleak, except for one that has something green growing that may be alfalfa. Not looking good right now. The ponds are very slowly being filled up with water and the Crane Pond has some water now. We'll see how things shape up soon.

Joe

5 posts |