« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by neverspook on Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:44 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I am using a Canon R5. I am wondering if it is OK to charge the batteries when they are around 80% charged. This camera eats batteries so I like to top them up as much as possible as long as that won't degrade the battery.

And is it OK to leave on the charger overnight? Again, I don't want to degrade the battery.

I was surprised to see that the battery recharge performance was done one bar (out of three) for some of my batteries even though they are not that old and I have not used them a ton.

Thanks,
Roberta Olenick

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:44 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is a great resource for all things battery related:

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Roberta, the answer to both of your questions, for the type of battery in your R5 is yes, it's OK.  If the recharge performance is that low that means you ran them out or nearly out multiple times.  LiIon batteries behave opposite of the batteries of old (NiCAD or NiMH) where full discharge was good for them.  LiIon batteries are better not to deeply deplete if you can avoid it.  So if you are out shooting, when the battery gets to about 20%, it's better to swap in a fresh one than it is to let it go to zero.

by neverspook on Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:11 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thank you both. It’s possible I did run the batteries quite low just because they R5 goes through them so quickly. Sometimes I needed that extra 20% just to keep shooting on a busy day. But I will bear that in mind and try to swap them out sooner.

4 posts |