Coyote

Posted by Craig Lipski on Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Coyote
Canis latrans
Hidalgo Co, TX

Long time no post here - I don't get that many opportunities, unless you want a never ending stream of Red Squirrels and Eastern Chipmunks. . . . So I'm taking my 13 years-old, 12 pound, half-blind dog with a bum shoulder on her morning walk, and I see this guy.  Seeing coyotes on this walk is not uncommon, but normally they keep their distance; this guy was just across a drainage cut and was very aware of our presence.  

This set is the best coyote shots, by far, I've taken, BUT: The light was harsh, the dead grasses played hell with the light, I'm just not in love.  I've "tweaked" this to the best of my abilities, but really welcome any suggestions.

5DIV
100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS II
f/8, 1/2500, ISO 800
Hand held, natural light

Comments and suggestions always appreciated

Posted by:
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495

by david fletcher on Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:12 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Marvellous sighting Craig and good to see you posting again. The value of the sighting outweighs any "harsh lighting" so sometimes its good to enjoy what blessing you get. Nice one!
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:36 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I am intrigued.  Normally Coyotes have brown/golden eyes.  Unless it is a trick of the light you complain about when you took the photos, it looks like you have spotted and photographed one of the rare coyotes with the blue eye mutation, Craig!  Do your other images show the eyes as blue? 

A click shows the nice detail you caught - and I would be more than happy with this sighting and the images.  Thanks for sharing this find! :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Craig Lipski on Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:16 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Carol Clarke wrote: I am intrigued.  Normally Coyotes have brown/golden eyes.  Unless it is a trick of the light you complain about when you took the photos, it looks like you have spotted and photographed one of the rare coyotes with the blue eye mutation, Craig!  Do your other images show the eyes as blue? 

A click shows the nice detail you caught - and I would be more than happy with this sighting and the images.  Thanks for sharing this find! :) 

Carol.
Interesting!  I've never paid attention to the eye color, I'm rarely close enough to  pay close attention.  All the shots are from the same angle, but I have the coyote facing right, left, and toward me, and in all of them the eyes look pretty much the same.  I'm not sure I'd call them "blue", but they're sure not brown, even golden would be a stretch.  And in the posted image, one eye is lit, one is shaded, and both look to be roughly the same color.  I'm going to have to look into that!  Thanks for the kind words as well as the info!

by Carol Clarke on Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:17 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Craig Lipski wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote: I am intrigued.  Normally Coyotes have brown/golden eyes.  Unless it is a trick of the light you complain about when you took the photos, it looks like you have spotted and photographed one of the rare coyotes with the blue eye mutation, Craig!  Do your other images show the eyes as blue? 

Carol.
Interesting!  I've never paid attention to the eye color, I'm rarely close enough to  pay close attention.  All the shots are from the same angle, but I have the coyote facing right, left, and toward me, and in all of them the eyes look pretty much the same.  I'm not sure I'd call them "blue", but they're sure not brown, even golden would be a stretch.  And in the posted image, one eye is lit, one is shaded, and both look to be roughly the same color.  I'm going to have to look into that!  Thanks for the kind words as well as the info!

More images and info always welcome - just for my own curiosity, because they are so rare.  Good hunting with your camera!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Axel Hildebrandt on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:00 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Great find and facial expression, Craig, interesting eye color, too.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:38 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I really like this- a rare opportunity to see a coyote close-up. The eye in the sunlight looks strange to me- not because of the color, but it looks irritated or something. Maybe it's just the shadows on it. Would love to see more shots of this intriguing animal. Maybe be a bit cautious though-in case it is sick....
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

7 posts |