« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by dbolt@boltassociates.com on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:59 am
dbolt@boltassociates.com
Forum Contributor
I need to purchase a device for our retirement community to calibrate laptops to produce reasonably accurate colors when displaying photographs on medium-sized screens (10 ft wide) via digital projectors. I have tried my old X-rite Display colorimeter, which works fine to calibrate monitors but does not work well for calibrating digital projectors - slight improvement in colors and luminosity. I purchased a new Calibrite SL, but it is not much better than the X-rite device, but the new SL device does work with Calibrite Profiler.

How about the Spyder devices? Do they work better with digital projectors? Would the Calibrite Display Plus or Pro models be a better choice? 

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The XRITE products that claim to work with projectors is what I would go with.

by dbolt@boltassociates.com on Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:49 pm
dbolt@boltassociates.com
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your suggestion, EJ. I have had success with an old Display model from X-rite to calibrate computer monitors, but not so much when it comes to calibrating digital projectors. So, I purchased a Calibrite Display SL (a newer version released after X-rite split off Calibrite). It is an improvement over my older Display model for calibrating monitors, but it is not satisfactory for digital projectors. Although the SL model docs indicate it will calibrate projectors, Calbrite support told me their Calibrite Pro or Plus models would be better. Their "better" analysis did not immediately convince me that spending an extra $100 would result in satisfactory calibration of our digital projectors.

I now must decide whether to purchase the Calibrite Pro model or switch to a Spyder Elite x2 model. The price is about the same. Unless I learn that the Spyder would be superior to the Calibrite Pro, I will return the Calibrite SL and order the Calibrite Pro.

by dbolt on Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:07 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I spent $270 on the Calibrite Display Pro HL to color calibrate digital projectors. Success! The first of several digital projectors I needed to calibrate (Unknown Name to me, at least) had an associated ICC named VP-440X. After no more than 3 or 4 min, my MBP M1 after running Calibrite Profiler app displayed a standard printer test image on the big screen that looked precisely (to my eyes) like the image on the MBP.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

4 posts |