Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Swissblad on Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:28 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Nikon has released a major firmware update for the Z9 - version 4.0!

It even comes with its own manual ;)

Good overview by Ricci on YouTube.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:57 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Looks like a few good changes like auto capture for a camera trap type capture. Also, increased buffer time for pre-release capture and improved focusing on moving subjects. I wonder if those settings/options are available on the z8, as well?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Swissblad on Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:24 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote: Looks like a few good changes like auto capture for a camera trap type capture. Also, increased buffer time for pre-release capture and improved focusing on moving subjects. I wonder if those settings/options are available on the z8, as well?
Apparently it will be released soon for the Z8 - Nikon YouTube video.

Interesting to see Nikon pursuing the auto capture / AF trap feature again...something which harks back to the F4!

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:59 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Swissblad wrote: Interesting to see Nikon pursuing the auto capture / AF trap feature again...something which harks back to the F4!
I had two F4's and never new they had that feature!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Swissblad on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:54 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Swissblad wrote: Interesting to see Nikon pursuing the auto capture / AF trap feature again...something which harks back to the F4!
I had two F4's and never new they had that feature!

Joe
It was a feature of the MF-23 multi-function data back - see Freeze Focus here.
It was also available for the F-801.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wow, I had that back on both cameras and never knew, or maybe remembered :wink: , that it was available.

Joe

by photoman4343 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:45 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I just downloaded firmware 4.0 for the Z9 and installed it. It took between 5 and 6 minutes to install on my Z9.

These two videos will give you some ideas on what is in the firmware. Rici's is pretty detailed on Auto Capture. I would be interested in opinions as to how useful (or not) this might be for wildlife shooting. he says that some features will work on F mount lenses, but all should work well on Z mount lenses. The Auto Capture features may require Auto Area AF being set.

Nikon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hUQZZHPWw

Rici:

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/5492 ... nt-5793001

Download from Nikon manuals for the 4.0 firmware, Reference Guide, Auto Capture, and button settings (Custom Controls) as these have been updated as a result of the new firmware.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... 9/Z_9.html

Exposure delay has been added in Custom setting d 6.
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:43 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Regarding Auto Capture, and Nikon manuals, to fully understand how to set it up and use it, you need to read both the Firmware 4 manual and the Auto Capture manual. Some of the needed set up steps are in the FU manual.
Joe Smith

8 posts |