All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:18 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Focus square jumps to the left top corner all the time.
C4 button is programmed to put it back to the middle, but lately it doesn't work either.
I noticed that the battery was down to 27%. Lens used: Sony 100-400 with a 1.4x teleconverter.
How can this problem be fixed?
(I hope it not the service)

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It may be corrected by doing a reset to factory settings, but then you will have to rest all custom settings.
This thread may or not be relevant:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4274633

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Make sure the menu selection for the joystick is properly set. Check the little joystick - it could be stuck or there could be some contamination in or around it. It may need to be serviced.

by dpirazzi on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 am
dpirazzi
Forum Contributor
Touch operation turned on? Also, double pressing the joystick should center the focus square.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:05 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
I found a problem, the touch operation was switched on. I switched it off and on Camera 1 page 7 I hit Delete Registered AF area.
It seems that it solved the problem for now. Actually it was my wife's camera and we think that when her nose touched the screen,
it created a registered AF on the left top corner, LOL.
Thank you all.
Karl.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Ah, you must be in contact with that part of the screen in your normal shooting :) Glad it's not a hardware problem. Some systems allow you to exclude a part of the touch-screen from focus operation so that you can still use touch focus without constantly moving the focus point with your face :)

by schlansker on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:32 am
schlansker
Forum Contributor
I also struggle with the A7RIV focus square being off center as I try to shoot BIF. I turned off the touch screen due to my accidental moving of the focus square. Now, I think that I am touching the joystick as I draw, and turn on, the camera out of my digital holster. After this, the focus square is at an extreme position while I try to shoot the bird. I am trying to retrain myself to be very aware of accidental joystick pushes while drawing the camera out of the holster.

Is there a setting that pins the initial focus square to the center while also allowing expand flexible spot continuous tracking?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
schlansker wrote:Is there a setting that pins the initial focus square to the center while also allowing expand flexible spot continuous tracking?
Nope :)

by Karl Egressy on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Ah, you must be in contact with that part of the screen in your normal shooting :)  Glad it's not a hardware problem.  Some systems allow you to exclude a part of the touch-screen from focus operation so that you can still use touch focus without constantly moving the focus point with your face :)

I can see touch screen focus operation is a useful tool for video and shooting still from a tripod. I shoot hand held and my touch operation was turned off, therefor I never had that annoying experience that my wife had with her identical camera. She is very talented bringing out all the possible problems from her computer and cameras. Fortunately her husband is pretty good at fixing problems with both. However, I need the advice of  experts time to time. 
Thanks again, Karl.

9 posts |