All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Ken Cravillion on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:27 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
How the heck do I set up a folder to share between this laptop computer with XP Pro on a wireless connecion and my old slow desktop with 98SE? Both computers are connected to a wired/wireless router. The net is working fine on both but I just can't figure out how to share.

I do all photo stuff on this laptop and FP2002 is on the desktop. Thats why I want to share...

Thanks,
Ken Cravillion

by Steve Mason on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
It can be a pain between 98 and XP, depending on who is hosting the files.

When connecting 98 to 2k or XP, you can't control who you authenticate as, so whatever User ID you log in to 98 with gets passed through to the XP box, and must exist on the XP box.

I have also heard that 98 and XP don't always share well over IP, and some folks use Netbeui, but I haven't encountered this myself.

Another gotcha, if WIN9x prompts for a login/password, and you just hit escape, peer-to-peer networking becomes disabled.

So, if the files live on the XP box, I'd make sure there's a user account on the XP box, the same as you log in to 98 with, and with the same password. Then make sure you have the folder shared, and you should be able to browse to the share from the 98 box.

One other thing to check, is if the XP firewalling is turned on, it might be blocking you.
Steve Mason

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:30 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Well, they are usually small website jpegs so transfering them via floppy won't be too big of a deal. I'm not going to mess with the settings anymore since I at least can type this from anywhere in my house so I'll just let it be...
Ken Cravillion

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You might be best off with an external hard drive that you just plug into whichever computer you need.

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:03 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ, I'll look in to one for storing scans too.
Ken Cravillion

by Dan Baumbach on Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:08 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
I also have problems sharing with XP and 2K and 98. It's easy to share the other way around. You can access files really easy on a 98 machine from XP or 2K.

E.J. seems to know all the answers to things like this. E.J. are you around???

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by Steve Mason on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:02 am
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
Dan Baumbach wrote:I also have problems sharing with XP and 2K and 98. It's easy to share the other way around. You can access files really easy on a 98 machine from XP or 2K.

E.J. seems to know all the answers to things like this. E.J. are you around???

- Dan.
The only real difference is that when connecting to a share from 9x to 2k/xp, you don't get a dialog box asking for your user ID. It just passes whatever ID you logged in to 98 with.
Going the other way, you can tell it who you are.
Steve Mason

7 posts |