Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by WDCarrier on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:43 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
My parents began my subscription to National Geographic when I was 8 years old...that was 1948.  It's been maintained since then but this year will be the last year I'll subscribe.  Rupert Murdoch has proven that the 1st Amendment is only as good as the money you can muster to support it.  See the following from the Daily KOS:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]The memo went out, and November 3rd 2015 came to the National Geographic office. This was the day in which Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox took over National Geographic. The management of National Geographic sent out an email telling its staff, all of its staff, all to report to their headquarters, and wait by their phones. This pulled back every person who was in the field, every photographer, every reporter, even those on vacation had to show up on this fateful day.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]As these phones rang, one by one National Geographic let go the award-winning staff, and the venerable institution was no more.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]We should be scared...very scared![/font]

Dean Carrier
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]
Topic Locked  

by Ed Cordes on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:54 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
So sad!! Now we will only see "Pop" science instead of serious work.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto posted a couple of links regarding layoffs and benefit cuts for staff here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 4#p2422734

Pretty sad, but common with corporations nowadays!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by amullis on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:51 am
amullis
Forum Contributor
NatGeo's magazine subscribers had been dropping for years. Now, we are in the "Digital Age" and it is time for media to reconsider the business model going forward. I read somewhere months ago Sports Illustrated laid off all of its staff photographers. It's that "change" thing again!
Topic Locked  

4 posts |