« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:40 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
http://www.ibtimes.com/cecil-lion-fallo ... ll-2166147

The killing has caused the American House of Reps to write anti-poaching legislation.

I looked up the exchange rate.  Palmer's $50K for Cecil's head exchanged into more than $18,000,000 Zimbabwean Dollars.  No wonder they will not prosecute him.

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
Topic Locked  

by westskies on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 am
westskies
Forum Contributor
Not sure where you were going with this, but Zimbabwe has been using US Dollars as currency since 2009. And looking at a local website that sells electronics, the electronics look to be more expensive in Zimbabwe than in the United States, as the pricing is advertised in US Dollars.
Steven Lewis
[url=http://www.westskies.com]www.westskies.com[/url]
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:07 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
If you had clicked on the bottom link you would have seen an exchange rate of 1 US dollar for every 64 Zimbabwean dollars.  That is all I know about economics anymore. :)  You even surprised me with the electronics store….in Zimbabwe?  I did not have a clue.

As far as the biology end of it, unless you ask me to…..I guess I will not attempt to re-explain the rest of it because it seems you are not interested.  Maybe you are interested, and I will be glad to discuss it again.  

I just think that lack of interest by the masses is part of the root of the problem.  

The slipping away of an apex predator to money, egos and habitat loss….all for selfish human reasons.   That is where I was going with it.
Topic Locked  

by westskies on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:25 pm
westskies
Forum Contributor
I work world wide. A couple of years ago, when in Vietnam, I wanted to be a millionaire, so I exchanged I think $200 USD to have more than a million Vietnam Dong. Where I was going is that the purchase power should theoretically be the same with slight variations for tariffs and other incidentals. So even though it looks like a lot of money (and it is when you consider the average wage is $253 per month), it still has the same buying power.

That was all I was pointing out.

I hope that the poaching bill passed by the house will actually have teeth in it, but I wonder how many wildlife poaching cases actually would pass through a US jurisdiction that would allow for prosecution, since most of the traffic is between Africa and Asia at this point in time? Thanks for posting the link to the article.
Steven Lewis
[url=http://www.westskies.com]www.westskies.com[/url]
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:28 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Interesting…..and thanks for your courtesy :)
Topic Locked  

by Primus on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
As far as  PPP (purchasing power parity) is concerned, typically, sophisticated manufactured goods like high-end electronics are more expensive in the developing world whereas labor intensive cottage industry products are cheaper. Cars above a certain price point (meaning anything better than a Camry) are much more expensive in India for example. So are high end televisions and cameras, smart phones. Low-end phones are actually cheaper.

Try getting a single-malt or a glass of good wine in a restaurant in India, will cost you at least twice what it does in New York. This has partly to do with local tariffs but mostly to do with what they can get away with. Same in Vietnam. 

Pradeep
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:38 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
hmm...interesting too

twice as much as what it would cost in NY (city?) ?…..now that's expensive.
Topic Locked  

Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
hmm...interesting too

Topic Locked  

Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
hmm...interesting too

Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another story related to lion hunters and their fate was not good in this situation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -africa-2/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

10 posts |